News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What Is This Heater?

Started by hudson29, February 16, 2014, 08:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hudson29

Years ago when I bought my 1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé it came with a heater. The heater worked and it produced plenty of heat & noise when the blower motor was running. The build sheet for my car listed a heater from the factory & I thought this heater must have been the one it rolled off the assembly line with. It looks old & somewhat scruffy just like much else on the car and it even says Cadillac right on it.

Some years ago I bought the Authenticity Manual and the heaters shown didn't look like the one on my car. Is this heater an aftermarket replacement or is it from another year Cadillac?

Vintage Paul, curious . . .
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupé
1923 Ford Runabout

joeceretti

interesting Cadillac logo,  that doesn't look like any I have seen before.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Paul,
It's a 1937 heater for Cadillac Or LaSalle. The script style  is correct for the era.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

hudson29

Thanks guys, it looks like I had better leave this one alone and look for the proper heater for a '39. Once I find a replacement I'll bet someone with a '37 project would like to have this one.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1923 Ford Runabout

joeceretti

If you can find the right core, I have two of the decorative covers for the 39 heater. Only need one for my car and I am sure they don't wear out.

hudson29

Quote from: Joe Ceretti on February 17, 2014, 02:21:01 PM
If you can find the right core, I have two of the decorative covers for the 39 heater. Only need one for my car and I am sure they don't wear out.

Terrific, thank you! I'll see what I can find. I'll also need to find the controls as those are missing from my car as well. Some previous owner replaced them with a simple modern plastic toggle switch in the same location.

Cadillac offered two under dash heaters that I can find reference to. One was called a ventilating heater and used outside air from the right kick panel someplace. Were the covers different?

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1923 Ford Runabout

joeceretti

Not 100% sure about the 39's. The 38's had an option for a heater that was apparently not very good. Many 38's ended up with the heater from the 39. The 38's do not have provision for the fresh air vent on the passenger side. Mine has a 39 heater. It has a reversible motor with a combination fan and blower. The fan blows air into the cabin and when reversed blows air up through the entirely not sufficient defroster ducts.

I have rewired mine and use a switch that fits into the stock mounting bracket, to accommodate fan speed control, as well as a hidden double pole double throw switch to reverse the direction of the modern motor I have installed. I have a diagram of the wiring. I can find it and post a photo of it if you need.

The stock motors on the heaters were a complicated, and in my opinion ingenious configuration that I don't think can be easily duplicated with a modern motor.

This is from my research and may be entirely or partly incorrect. I have found the information on these heaters to be sketchy at best. A large number of these cars didn't come with any heater at all, at least that applies to the 38 year models.

hudson29

Quote from: Joe Ceretti on February 17, 2014, 04:05:15 PMI have rewired mine and use a switch that fits into the stock mounting bracket, to accommodate fan speed control, as well as a hidden double pole double throw switch to reverse the direction of the modern motor I have installed. I have a diagram of the wiring. I can find it and post a photo of it if you need.

The stock motors on the heaters were a complicated, and in my opinion ingenious configuration that I don't think can be easily duplicated with a modern motor.

This is from my research and may be entirely or partly incorrect. I have found the information on these heaters to be sketchy at best. A large number of these cars didn't come with any heater at all, at least that applies to the 38 year models.

I would love to see what you came up with. In SoCal we have little use for heaters but the build sheet says the car was built with it and I would like to get as close as I can to factory original. The defroster would be an asset once in a while. Do you have any pictures of your installation? I would like to see how the heater mounts to the body & connects with the defroster hoses in addition to the wiring.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1923 Ford Runabout

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Heater options are covered extensively in the class 10 Authenticity Manual for those with a Cadillac and Class 5 for those with a LaSalle.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

hudson29

Quote from: Brad Ipsen CLC #737 on February 17, 2014, 09:00:01 PM
Heater options are covered extensively in the class 10 Authenticity Manual for those with a Cadillac and Class 5 for those with a LaSalle.

Yes, I have that book and it is a good start in trying to sort these matters out. It helps deciding what is correct but it is very far from a restoration manual. This forum has been terrific at filling in the gaps.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1923 Ford Runabout