News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Update on Dad's 1957 Biarritz

Started by salguod, February 16, 2014, 08:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salguod

You may remember last spring and summer my posts (one, two, three) about my Dad and I were trying to get his '57 Biarritz out and on the road again.  Well, I realized that I never came back to update you on the progress, such as it is, with the car.

As they say, nothing ever goes as planned, so last summer came and went and the car never left the storage facility.  The car needed more than we had hoped and I live 100+ miles away, so Dad and I couldn't really work on it together.  The facility where the car is stored is owned by a friend of the family and used for his cars.  He's got an onsite mechanic that also is able to work on other things in his down time, and he is doing the work on Dad's Eldorado.  However, several things (obligations to the building owner, family and health issues, etc.) kept him from spending the time on it we had wanted him to.

He rebuilt the carb and got started on the brake system.  The booster went out for rebuild, new W/Cs & rubber lines were ordered and the M/C was rebuilt too, I believe.  However, as of now it still hasn't gotten back together.  Dad missed being able to get it to the Toledo show in October, but we're hopeful for better things this summer.  This winter has been brutal, so even if the car had been done there wouldn't have been any driving it so no real harm in the slow pace once the weather turned cold.

Anyway, just wanted to post an update.  I'll hopefully be back in the spring with more news and some pics of it out on its own power.
salguod
1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (Dad's Toy) - Elysian Green, inside and out
1960 Thunderbird Convertible (My Toy) -  Raven Black, Red leather
1996 BMW 318ti (My Daily Driver/Toy) - Boston Green, Dove Gray leather
www.salguod.net

Dan LeBlanc

Keep it up and don't give up on her.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

salguod

Well, it took two full summers and a lot of patience, but Dad emailed this week to say that he got the Eldorado out on its own power for the first time since it went into storage in 1998.  It only went to the end of the shop / storage facility driveway and back (probably 1/2 of a mile total), but it's functional again.

Unfortunately, it's late in the season so a real shake down will probably have to wait and he won't get to enjoy it this year, but he hopefully should be ready for next summer.
salguod
1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (Dad's Toy) - Elysian Green, inside and out
1960 Thunderbird Convertible (My Toy) -  Raven Black, Red leather
1996 BMW 318ti (My Daily Driver/Toy) - Boston Green, Dove Gray leather
www.salguod.net

57eldoking

Glad to hear that, great car with a very unique history!
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT