News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How do u replace an ignition Barrel on a 59?

Started by 59 DIRTY RAT, February 17, 2014, 04:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

59 DIRTY RAT

Hi Guys,
I bought a whole set of matching key/barrels for the 59, the doors/trunk were straight forward but how do u change out the barrel in the ignition. The electrical part is off the back and there looks like some type of retaining clip inside the barrel?
Anyone done this before? I tried searching on this site for a thread but couldn't find any, I thought it would be a fairly common swap? Is there a diagram or step by step instructions anywhere?
My caddy when I bought it only came with 1 ignition, 1 trunk and 1 glove compartment keys all different and no door keys!

Thanks Guys, Andy
'59 Fleetwood 75 imperial limo
'69 Corvette 540ci 755hp
'72 Suburban 454ci

The Tassie Devil(le)

There is a small hole in the bezel next to where the key enters the lock.   Straighten a paper clip and push it in the hole, and with the key in the lock, I think you have to turn the key either to the left or the right, one click.   Then push the pin in further, and if it is in the right place, you will feel a spring being pushed in.   Push it in about 3/16" and at the same time rotate the lock to the right, as if you are turning the ignition on, and this action will release the barrel.

The installation is in reverse, but you don't have to use the pin.

Don't forget to disconnect the battery, as removing the tumbler will turn the ignition on.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon