News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

I finally joined the club for real! Now about the brakes...

Started by Dave Burke, February 18, 2014, 07:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Burke

Hey Folks - it's been a while since I posted, but I just wanted to say that I finally bought a nice '57 Sedan Deville and she is a honey!  A real driver with about 75K on the clock and in very good shape for a Yankee car!  Now that she's down here in Alabama, she is getting the royal treatment (my version at least).  I put a Pertronix ignition in her, rebuilt the carb and the master cylinder and am rebuilding the pistons at each wheel and painting all of the bare metal as I go.  I bought some new carpet and since she didn't come with a dash pad, I made one out of a dashboard cover and expandable foam.  I also added a hidden stereo in the glove compartment that can be removed in an instant as I determined not to drill any holes.  The upholstery is in great shape and I have replaced most of the weatherstripping courtesy of Steele Rubber Co. 

So even though I just looked at Google and saw that the topic of brakes has already been addressed, let me ask, has there been any new developments?  I mean, I hadn't thought of blocking off the booster - that sounds like such a "duh" thing to do, yet I do not recall it being mentioned in the shop manual so therefore let me say that it is a brilliant "duh" suggestion!  Furthermore, I intend to puke the lines really thoroughly so I was going to start with the front and work back to flush, and then re-bleed from back to forward.  I also have a booster rebuild kit on the way - if I go ahead and attend to the system, will I have to re-bleed everything once I rebuild it and put it back, or should I be able to isolate the rest of the brake system when I disconnect it,cap the line, re-install and then re-bleed the booster?  Any thoughts?

The work is filthy and wonderful.  I am using my switch-blade to carve ancient hunks of congealed grease from the arms and joints, being careful not to gash any seals.  It is slow going, and I would rather be driving her, but safety first, I reckon!  This is important as several professors and I are going to take her down to Amelia Island for the show this year!  I hope that I can meet some of Y'all too!

I am proud to finally be a Cadillac Owner, and Gratefully

Dave Burke
CLC# 27968
1957 Sedan Deville
1963 Series 62 - Project LUX
1983 Maserati Quattroporte

"Who loves ya, Baby?" - Kojak

C.R. Patton II

Hello Dave

Welcome!

Glad to read of your acquisition. Enjoy!
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Dave Shepherd

Your bleeding plan with the final step in the brake work should be ok.