News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Buy parts or trust others?

Started by Sardaukar 88mm, February 23, 2014, 11:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sardaukar 88mm

It has come to my attention that my engine and carb could probably stand a rebuild. There isn't really anything wrong with them, but they leak a bit, particularly the carb, which does drip gasoline in small amounts on the engine block. A potentially dangerous situation.

I have neither a lift, nor the knowledge, nor, with Army life, the time, to rebuild this myself. However, deployments and months-long training are perfect times to send the parts or vehicle off since I can't drive it then anyway. That being said, how would this be done? Who are reputable rebuilders, how do I get the vehicle/parts to them, and should I attempt to find gaskets, engine paint, etc. on my own or trust them to find these for me at a fair price? What IS a fair price? I need to start saving for this; since I'm moving to Texas next month my budget is essentially exhausted for the time being ($1200 to move the LaSalle, but I'm not driving the Old Man 800 miles). I don't think the engine needs to be rebored or any of that, just cleaned up and resealed. Pretty sure the carb does need a rebuild, though. And the engine needs to be repainted, derusted, and the exhaust manifold needs similar treatment.

So who does these things? Hemmings has several advertised but lots of people can pay for an ad. Any recommendations?

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Your military service deserves a “Thank You” and some suggestions. First thing is to invest $30+ dollars and join the CLC National. You’ll be able to find a region that covers your new Texas address. Local club members will be able to recommend do’s  n’ don’ts of local repair shops and the possibility of a new friend who has done this before. If your engine does not make knocking or loud metallic tapping noises it may well have many more miles in it. I’d run a compression test on the engine to insure cylinders are in good condition and check oil pressure with a gage to verify lubrication. If these tests all check out you should be fine with a cleaning and replacing gaskets. If you find problems with these tests, it may not make sense to go further unless you’re prepared to fix whatever problems exist. You’ll just end up with a clean poor performing engine.

In the northeast most  shops capable of doing this will charge something like $1500 plus parts/materials to pull the engine, clean, seal and repaint it. For a 40’s Cadillac a full engine gasket set from Kanter will be something like $250. I find Bill Hirsh has the best engine paint at about $50/qt. I believe the manifolds are porcelain finished. You may get by with sand blasting and paint which is available from Hirsh also for $50 /pt. There are several carb rebuilders that have been mentioned on the site ( search carburetor) but the only one I recall at the moment is The Carburetor Shop : http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/. Contact them for the best shipping method. The price will vary depending on what needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

I would start this project after you're settled in Texas . That way everything is settled in one location. After diagnosis whatever you estimate your cost to be, add 15% for the things that you don’t know that you don’t know.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

C.R. Patton II

Hello Table

Glad to read you are improving your LaSalle.

The counsel you have received from Ralph is solid and thorough.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Sardaukar 88mm

That is actually great news. I was thinking it would be much more. It looks as though if I aim for saving about 5000 I should be in good shape. Joining the CLC is in the works; again, I want to get the move over with first and I will be in school for a few months, too. If you think I do a lot as a military member, you should see my wife: she's moving the kids, cats, dog, household goods, AND the LaSalle by herself, then settling in without me. She's got it rough; I just do what I'm told to, so I have the easy job!

There isn't really any knocking or rattling, but there is a bit of a ticking noise that rises and falls with the rpms. I'm wondering if maybe some gas-tank rust is finding its way into the engine. Or that the engine is simply old. Either way, it looks like a rebuild is going to be a moderately attainable goal and for that I'm pleased. I consider myself the caretaker of a true piece of American history and as a former archivist I'd like to keep it in the best shape possible.

Hankk17

very interesting - another Dune fan who loves Cadillacs :-)  (I go by 'beastrabban' on most other boards.)

At any rate, just for a price comparison, try Hobbs' Carburetor repair in NH. 

https://plus.google.com/100829622205100851499/about?gl=us&hl=en

They recently rebuilt my '76 Quadrajet and did a fantastic job.

good luck with your move!

-Hank
Wherever you go... There you are

76eldo

I would also like to thank you for your service.

"Clean, seal, and paint" for $1500.00 is not a rebuild.

If your engine has reasonable power, doesn't smoke or use too much oil, it sounds like you need your carb rebuilt to fix the dripping gas, and you need a good mechanic to sort out the ticking noise.  Rust particles from the tank would clog the filter and/or pump, not make ticking noises in the engine.

That could be anything from a valve related issue, to a slight exhaust leak.

I have worked on 30's cars, but not specifically what you have.  Pulling the engine may involve taking apart the whole front sheetmetal, and if you get hooked up with a bad shop, it could be a disaster.

I would NOT have work done while you are away on a deployment.  You will get put on the back burner and quite possibly get outright ripped off.  Only do something major with a local shop and show up unannounced frequently.  Make sure they know you are on top of things and that's the only way to get the car done on a timely basis.

While there are many quality shops out there, there are also some that are not only not very good, but will bill you for all kinds of extras, and may value their time and count hours a little differently than what you would expect.

Club members in your area have already gone down this road before, you don't need to blaze a new trail.  Join the CLC and a local region, and talk to people.  Sometimes you can find a club member that is also a mechanic that can help you out.

Best of luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Sardaukar 88mm

Ahah! Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! I hadn't considered that and really should have. Especially since I am admittedly learning as I go. I got burned on a '62 Valiant in high school/college precisely because I trusted some good 'ol boys to do the right thing. They didn't; it luckily went to a Valiant enthusiast who was able to salvage it...I hope.

Quote from: 76eldo on February 24, 2014, 09:48:29 AM
I would NOT have work done while you are away on a deployment.  You will get put on the back burner and quite possibly get outright ripped off.  Only do something major with a local shop and show up unannounced frequently.  Make sure they know you are on top of things and that's the only way to get the car done on a timely basis.