News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

chassis VIN number location, 1968 coupe deville

Started by Cruella, February 28, 2014, 11:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruella

Any one know some one who can help me locate the chassis vin no, the dmv won't accept the one on the dash behind the windshield,  and it isn't on either of the frame rails or the firewall or the door jamb.

Scot Minesinger

That number should be good.  There should also be a riveted stainless tag with embossed numbers on it visible with hood open near the number on the dash.  If you can see where a tag might have been complete with two holes about 3" apart, then removal is unlikely but possible.  How did it get sold before - what number is on title? - could it have been a salvage vehicle restored and not properly documented?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Cruella

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

CJ,
You need to have pages O2 & O3 from a 68 shop manual. It will show you and the ignorant DMV employees what they need to know.
Scott,
What is this SS riveted tag?? I've never seen one.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

mgbeda

From the MTS webpage, here is a picture showing where the VIN is on a Caddy 472-500.  Note that it's the stamped number labeled "ignore" that you want. 

And here's a picture of the VIN off my engine. ('76 500).  The VIN is in the red box.

The other legible ones are casting numbers; the same on all cars of that year and maybe beyond.

It probably won't help you for two reasons.  One, it's just the last six digits of the VIN.  Two, you can barely see it in the best conditions (engine cleaned and very well lighted).  If the doofus at the DMV doesn't believe the VIN plate I doubt he'll accept this as proof either.  What's next; he'll complain the VIN doesn't have enough digits?  No bar code? Try a different DMV office.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I ran into that on my 70.  The vin was very very hard to read on the dash but I could make it out.  Brought it in to be inspected and they just thought it was dirty and tried to 'clean' it.  Now it is almost impossible to read.  I was going to take it to the DMV and have them search it and re-vin it but I was told it would get a new # and I didn't want that.  it is on the back of the engine and the left side of the transmission.  Even tho the engine and trans can be removed, they are official places for the older cars.  72 or so I think they changed that. 
There are 'secret' places for the vins on these cars but I was unable to find them.  If you do, please post it or PM me.
Jeff.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Sorry for bringing up this old thread...

I am in the process of aquiring a '68 Cadillac. I do not have a shop manual yet but need this question answered quickly. I also did not find it as a commercial download, otherwise I would have bought it that way.

Is the VIN stamped on the frame in the traditional location (as in earlier years)? AMA Specs say yes, "Frame Left Side" but the forum has conflicting information.

Thank you!

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Nils,
There is no frame # that we know of. Maybe someone can send you a copy of the shop manual pages I suggested. That should be all the DMV needs.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bob,

thank you. Our German version of the DMV is very eager for frame VINs but when I get the car it is a project anyway. I will have a shop manual by the time it is roadworthy.

I just thought about a way of linking the frame to the car or at least the body style (my '62 frame has an 'F' for convertible) as a mean of inspection.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Roger Zimmermann

That's the problem in Europe: "they" want a stamped VIN number! Export cars have one stamped on a rigid structure part like the tower for the suspension. You may have to do the same on your car.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac Fleetwood

J is the code for a Coupe deVille.  8 will be for the model year 1968. The number will begin with "J8"

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on June 17, 2019, 02:24:23 PM
J is the code for a Coupe deVille.  8 will be for the model year 1968. The number will begin with "J8"

-Charles Fares

Charles, this information refers to the VIN in general. But you agree that it is not stamped on the frame, right?
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

chrisntam

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on February 28, 2014, 10:51:12 PM

There are 'secret' places for the vins on these cars but I was unable to find them.  If you do, please post it or PM me.
Jeff.

Uh, that's why they're secret!

;D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: chrisntam on June 18, 2019, 08:48:13 AM
Uh, that's why they're secret!

Usually they only can be read when the frame is separated from the body. When the cars are new, maybe a mirror can help. After 50 years with dirt and maybe corrosion? I doubt.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cadillacmike68

I don't think 1968s had the VIN stamped on the frame.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

If you feel the need to stamp a series of numbers on the frame, without removing everything to gain easy access with the stamps and hammer, do what I did and make a steel extension and stamp away from up high, as shown in the pictures.

Takes time, but it can be done.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

The engine overhaul is one of the next steps on the '68 restoration project. The casting number is in a strange location... Is this normal? 
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

cadillacmike68

Quote from: mgbeda on February 28, 2014, 07:43:05 PM
From the MTS webpage, here is a picture showing where the VIN is on a Caddy 472-500.  Note that it's the stamped number labeled "ignore" that you want. 

And here's a picture of the VIN off my engine. ('76 500).  The VIN is in the red box.

The other legible ones are casting numbers; the same on all cars of that year and maybe beyond.

It probably won't help you for two reasons.  One, it's just the last six digits of the VIN.  Two, you can barely see it in the best conditions (engine cleaned and very well lighted).  If the doofus at the DMV doesn't believe the VIN plate I doubt he'll accept this as proof either.  What's next; he'll complain the VIN doesn't have enough digits?  No bar code? Try a different DMV office.

-mB

VINs in 1968 thru 70 (and some years before) were only 8 positions. There were only 2 positions in front and the 2nd was the number 8.

The first was a letter, F for DeVille Convertible, P for Fleetwood Brougham, etc, then a single number 8 for the year and then the 6 numbers that are the serial number starting with 100001. So F83140## is my VIN. My 1970 Brougham was P0190019. That's all there is. The six numbers on the engine should match the dashboard VIn plate's last 6 positions.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: 6262 on March 07, 2020, 04:33:59 PM
The casting number is in a strange location... Is this normal?
Are you referring to the casting number (which is usually difficult to interpret) or the stamped number?
From a book dealing with codes and so on: "The VIN is stamped on a pad on the rear upper portion of the cylinder block, behind the intake manifold and on the left side of the transmission case"
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger,

I am referring to the casting number. It is here:

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville