News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 Coupe de ville

Started by txturbo, March 02, 2014, 07:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txturbo

Just picked up a nice 56 coupe de ville. Anyone making ignition switches or lock sets for these? My initial search hasn't found anything. The original switch is gone and the trunk lock has been destroyed. I found a new ignition lock cylinder in the trunk with a set of keys so just need a switch to put it in.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

txturbo

never mind.....found the last one on ebay.  :D
Just brought this car home a couple days ago. Mostly complete but hasn't been on the road in about 15 years. Previous 2 or 3 owners had it in storage and just previous to me buying it the process the tank was removed for cleaning. It would start and run but it had fuel system had some issues. I need to reinstall the tank and I think I need a fuel pump. Does anyone still make rebuild kits for fuel pumps anymore?
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK

David King (kz78hy)

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

txturbo

Thanks....I'll check into it. Is there a listing of accessory codes somewhere? Mine shows EHYS
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK

J. Gomez

Quote from: txturbo on March 02, 2014, 11:30:11 AM
Thanks....I'll check into it. Is there a listing of accessory codes somewhere? Mine shows EHYS

Dan,

You can download the Date book and specs manual from the GM Heritage Center http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

The specs manual list several aspects of the options available for each model/year color, upholstery, etc, etc.

In your case E-> E Z Eye glass, H-> Heater, Y->Posture seat adjuster, S-> Remote control Trunk lock.

Good luck…!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

txturbo

Posture seat adjuster? Not sure what that is. I did notice that when I sit on the seat my head is almost touching the headliner and I have to bend down to get in and out. Hopefully that let's me lower the seat.....I just went and looked at it real close. Looks like that is exactly what it is...and its all the way up.
Another problem I just ran into...went to install the driveshaft and I cant find the piece that clamps the rear u-joint to the pinion flange...anyone have a picture of what it looks like? The shop manual doesn't show it.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK

J. Gomez

Dan,

The Owner’s manual (which also is part of the document from the vehicle information kit) page 13 shows the electric seat options. Also the shop manual section 14 page 49 shows the front seat options and page 73 the electrical wiring.

The U-joint section 6 fig. 6-14 shows a detail layout of the drive shaft the u-joint is also picture. It may not be clear if you have a copy of the manual, attached is close-up from the manual.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

C.R. Patton II

Mr. Gomez

I just wanted to express my gratitude for your effort, patience and time with this new owner.  I appreciate your kindness.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

J. Gomez

Quote from: C.R. Patton II on March 03, 2014, 09:50:15 AM

Mr. Gomez

I just wanted to express my gratitude for your effort, patience and time with this new owner.  I appreciate your kindness.

Chuck,

It is my pleasure..! I was on the same predicament a few years back when I purchase my caddy, so I’m just paying back the help I received from the members on this club.

Beside it is the club motto by keep the spirit alive with these beauties and to share our experience with others.

Jose
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

txturbo

Ahh....that pic shows it clearly. Thanks for the clear picture.No wonder I couldn't find it. I was looking for something that looks completely different. Does that piece enclose the bearing cap of the u-joint? Never seen a setup like that.
Ok....I see how it is now....special bearing caps. Ordered a new u-joint that has the special caps.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK