News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How awesome is Marty at MTS / 500cid.com

Started by mgbeda, March 03, 2014, 07:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

This won't be a surprise to anyone to has dealt with them I'm sure, but I have to share.

First they found me a good used water outlet (at the rear of the head) to replace my very rusty one.  And sold it at a good price and shipped quickly.

But this past weekend I was getting ready to install my oil pump.  You've probably heard about the problems with the Melling oil pumps, how the bypass valve piston can get stuck and lead to no oil pressure.  (No one else makes new oil pumps for the 500's, but MTS sells Melling pumps where  they individually go through and fix these machining problems.  All this I learned on the forum.) Well my engine rebuilder went ahead and got that oil pump anyway.  I figured since I already had one I'd check myself for a smooth bore and piston in the bypass valve, and maybe polish it up, and maybe I'd be lucky.  But when I did check I found a big gouge near the top of the piston bore, too big to polish out.

So I wrote Marty to ask if I could send them this pump and have them remachine it, or trade it in on one of theirs, or throw it out and buy one of theirs.  I sent him a picture showing the flaw.

And he wrote back, same day, telling me not to worry because it's in an area beyond the piston travel.  So think about that.  Here I am offering to pay them for a service, or buy a new part from them, and he tells me I'm good to go as is.  For free.  That is a Mensch. 

I wish I had sourced more parts from them (I did get their high flow water pump).  I'm impressed and grateful that I get to find people like that through this hobby.  Give them all the business you can.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

35-709

I have 2 472s, one rebuilt locally with several MTS parts in Big Red, and one built by MTS in the Caribou.  Both are mostly stock and are super engines.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

blue68deville

I agree, Marty is super helpful and won't try to sell you anything you don't need. He's also a great source for used parts and doesn't charge a ton for them.
Clay Tynan
68 Sedan DeVille
Centennial, CO
CLC #27486

Thule

i really want to get a cam and intake manifold from them
Ivar Markusson.  icelandic cadillac club (part of CLC)
73 Eldorado coupe.

35-709

I'm using an MTS #5 cam, close to stock but a little better. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am running the #5 from Marty, but I went for bigger valves, double springs and am very pleased with it.

I installed a #3 in a '71 engine, and the owner is very pleased with that one as well.   He wanted economy, but it also gave more lower end power than it had before.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I'm with everyone else with MTS's quality and service.   They have radical hot rod stuff and fairly stock.   They also have some inexpensive 'import' stuff like say valve covers.  Unlike if you order something on line and don't know if they are going to be made of tin foil or not MTS gets decent quality cheap stuff.

When I did my last rebuild I let the machine shop get some stuff, I got other stuff other places, and I got a few things like the cam from MTS.  Big mistake.   About 1000 miles later after a bad new oil pump I had it out and apart again and had to buy a bunch of new parts from MTS.   This time it all works plus I think I got better stuff.   

I have had the same experience with used parts as everyone else too.   Since a lot of his customers are 'hot rod' people they often are buying his new billet aluminum stuff so he has used stock stuff like valve covers, water outlets and such laying around. 

For a while they had a supply of the hard to find temp sensors for the 75-80 Cadillac EFI system.

I have not ordered a whole engine from him but have heard they are competitively priced on the engine and shipping with other vendors that don't specialize in those engines.   

I got the #5 MTS.  I did it with my engine rebuild so the power gain is not a real fair comparison since I was going from wore out to new.  It does not have a rough idle, it seems to run smooth like a Cadillac should.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason