News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 Presidentail

Started by Bill Norris, April 01, 2013, 01:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Norris

Thanks Eric. I'll call back over there and have them confirm.

Bill

Louis Smith

Since I don't have any interest in purchasing this car, I will not critique it or comment on the price, other then to say. I think all steel topped fleetwoods were not that common.  Since the fleetwood models were the top of the line, most buyers opted for the vinyl tops.  Here is a link for '70 Fleetwood, and its a Brougham, for your dining and dancing pleasure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brougham-/261230133832;jsessionid=DED8ED3638B5C6A60F922AB6D95A9B0E?ViewItem=&item=261230133832&forcev4exp=true#v4-48

cadillacmike68

Quote from: ericdev on June 19, 2013, 07:03:30 PM
Looks very nice.

The power antenna is not automatic on this car. 

To raise the antenna, key must be ON or in ACCY position and tuning knob is pushed in; to retract, the knob is pulled out.

That's for 1965-68. I think 1969s had a sliding switch at the top of the radio that was marked "power ant up dn" or something like that.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on June 20, 2013, 04:26:27 AM
That's for 1965-68. I think 1969s had a sliding switch at the top of the radio that was marked "power ant up dn" or something like that.

Yes, I think that's right.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Glen

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on June 20, 2013, 04:26:27 AM

I don’t believe the sliding switch came into being until sometime in the 70’s.  The push/pull the tuning knob was on the 56s my parents owned and on the 69 Eldo I had.  The 70 had the antenna in the windshield. No power antenna. 

According to the parts book the first electric antenna was 1956, before that 1941 to 1955 the antennas were vacuum.  The next antenna after 69 (in the 74 parts book) is 1973. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadillacmike68

I had two 1969s way back, and that's how the antenna went up and down. I just can't remember the exact wording on the switch.

The volume knob push / pull was last used in 1968.

The antennas might not have changed, but the radios were changing every year or every other year.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Davidinhartford

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on June 21, 2013, 08:27:48 AM
I had two 1969s way back, and that's how the antenna went up and down. I just can't remember the exact wording on the switch.

The volume knob push / pull was last used in 1968.

The antennas might not have changed, but the radios were changing every year or every other year.

No words, just an up arrow and a down down arrow.

cadillacmike68

That's it! The slider was for changing b/w  AM & FM.

Very nicely equipped Eldorado there Dave  8) .

You know if this car wasn't up in MI, and I had some garage space (and if the owner would be reasonable).......
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Louis Smith

Quote from: David Smith on June 21, 2013, 08:51:43 AM
No words, just an up arrow and a down down arrow.

Is that an original 1968 Christmas Tree Air Fresher?

Davidinhartford

Thanks but that isn't my Eldorado.  Mine is a 68.   

That photo is one of the 27,000 in my Flickr database.

Now this  is a well equipped 1969 Caddy below.

Glen

Ah.. So it changed when they changed the radio from both knobs on one side to one on each side. 

Wish I had the owners manuals on PDF. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

66 Eldo

David, your 69 Eldorado has 70 and later style cruise control. Did Cadillac make a mid year running change in 69 to the newer version?

Davidinhartford

Again,  not my car.

The 69 Eldorado had a different cruise control (vacuum) set up than the rear drive Deville & Fleetwoods. (Electronic)

This is the Deville type here.

cadillacmike68

That mechanical / electrical cruise control on the 1969 DeVilles and all 1968 & older cars was notoriously inaccurate and finicky. I still can't get mine to work (needs another in dash unit, which I have) and possible a new servo control in the engine compartment.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Davidinhartford

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on June 24, 2013, 06:32:41 AM
That mechanical / electrical cruise control on the 1969 DeVilles and all 1968 & older cars was notoriously inaccurate and finicky. I still can't get mine to work (needs another in dash unit, which I have) and possible a new servo control in the engine compartment.

Agreed.  My 67 hardtop Sedan Deville had Cruise and it was very inaccurate and finicky.   I was going to install it in my 68 Eldorado, but considering I would probably never use it I may just skip it.

cadillacmike68

Dave, I wouldn't bother. That is the biggest PITA retrofit of any accessory you need all sorts of little parts everywhere, brake cutoffs, different speedo cables, power wires, etc.... no thanks. I's rather try to fit power vent windows before trying to do this.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Davidinhartford

The part that was killing me was the dash switch.  You need to swap out the entire dash bezel because the big round hole is cast into it.

I found one, but replacing it requires disassembling most of the dashboard to swap them.  All the controls bolt to the bezel from behind.  The headlamp switch, wipers, HVAC and radio too!     Ugh, what a mess.   That was enough to discourage me.    I much prefer the 74 and newer Cadillac dashboards where all the components are serviceable from the front of the dash.

Bill Norris

Got alot of nibbles on the car, but nobody serious. I talked to the widow and she will go down to $13,000. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Thanks,
Bill
248-404-7113
billnorris@wowway.com

Bill Norris

I am getting alot of interest in this car again. I should have posted earlier that the widow wound up selling to a friend. I don't know what the terms were.

Thanks for everyone that contacted me.
Bill Norris