News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Oil Pressure Gauge; 76 DeVille

Started by mgbeda, March 07, 2014, 03:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

Hi Gang,

I want to use an oil pressure gauge (instead of the idiot light) at least for initial check out of Bessie's rebuilt engine (1976 DeVille, 500 4 bbl).  Maybe I'll go back to original at final assembly, but that's a while from now.  I have an electronic gauge set lying around; the threads fit but the body of the  sensor unit is a little too big in diameter to screw in (hits against the back of the block).  So I'll need some sort of fittings; either a straight extension or some sort of angle so I can clear the engine with the sender.  Or I might get a mechanical gauge, since I need to buy stuff anyway.

I know some of you have put an oil gauge in your Caddies; can you give me some advice about what fittings I'll need?

Thanks a bunch,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

R Schroeder

Scot Minesinger

Seems like you should be able to buy a female/male threaded connector that is same size as gauge and that would extend the threads so it could screw into the block without the sensor hitting the block because threaded element is not long enough.  HD (it is nice when you are there and can verify correct threads, flare, npt and etc.) may have this or you can try on line.  I used a Autometer and the left over fitting from the temp gauge worked for oil-how that happens?? 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

Maybe a T would solve your issue?  That may extend the sender high enough to clear the intake plus you can install the factory sender so the light will be a backup alert plus I think its required to operate the electric choke. 

Most hardware / home stores should have such a thing in brass.  They are standard pipe threads.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

mgbeda

Thanks very much!  After a trip to Home Depot I now have my oil pressure sender perched on top of a 4" pipe.  Everything fit together easily.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)