News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tin-Zinc plating on your old parts

Started by joeceretti, March 08, 2014, 09:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeceretti

Just a short post showing my success using a very inexpensive tin-zinc plating system I bought. I don't have a shot of the parts before I used the grinder/wire brush but they were rusty with a lot of dirt and hardened grease and flecks of paint. Very bad looking.

las39

Looks great. Heard that using DC from a battery will give a even nicer finish than the ripple AC from a battery charger. Can you confirm?
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Gene Beaird

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

joeceretti

Not sure about the difference in finish from an ac adapter as I have only used the batteries. Yes, it's an Eastwood kit. I did a bunch more parts and they all turned out great. One part, I had missed a spot when cleaning. Re-cleaned and re-plated and it looks fine.

las39

A kit is available in UK has a two different passivate , a  Yellow/Gold and a Blue/Clear. The Yellow/gold is also called Cadmium Yellow and supposed to give the look of Cadmium plated.
Which color are you using?
1939 LaSalle 5027
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

joeceretti

On the Eastwood.com website for usa they have a kit called tin zinc plating for around sixty dollars I think. That's the one.

Jeff Wilk

There is also a next level up kit if you want bright zinc plating and gold cad. Its called copy cad and i used it on my entire engine bay restoration. Just google copy cad. Works awesome
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

las39

Jeff
thanks for showing me the yellow cad. Now I know what not to get ;)
1939 LaSalle 5027
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Jeff Wilk

To each his own Mo!  Thats whats great about these forums. Some like their restoration to be original (like this) or others dont. FYI.....the gold cad below was my first trial piece. You control the brightness and darkness of the yellow. After about 6 tries you have "your mix" all set to go.   Beauty is that you can do the parts as you need them and they only take 20 mins per batch including degreasing and stripping. 
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

pauldridge

I'm using the Caswell Copy Cad system myself.  Currently refurbishing the entire suspension and under carriage of my 1953 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe, and very pleased with the results.  Admittedly, some people want everything to be exactly as original.  I've learned that at the Pininfarina facility, after the cars were assembled, they just sprayed the entire under carriage with the typical black undercoating, but I just couldn't stand that, so am leaving all the hardware natural (and much of it in the definitely un-original but attractive cad plating finish).  To each his own!
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

Scot Minesinger

I use powder coating to simulate the various metal finishes.  You are a purist - very nice results.  The powder coating withstands 85lb-ft of torque required for tightening upper control arm shaft to frame bolts provided you use a 6 sided 3/4" socket on it.  Yours looks better on gold cad, but the clear zinc looks close. 

One advantage of powder coating is you can fill in pits with multiple coats and sand - works well for valve covers and oil pans.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

las39

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on March 09, 2014, 01:55:37 PM
To each his own Mo!  Thats whats great about these forums. Some like their restoration to be original (like this) or others dont. FYI.....the gold cad below was my first trial piece. You control the brightness and darkness of the yellow. After about 6 tries you have "your mix" all set to go.   Beauty is that you can do the parts as you need them and they only take 20 mins per batch including degreasing and stripping.
Exactly Jeff
But I don't think the yellow coloring is correct for prewar cars. Wasn't in the sixties they started this?
The original cadmized parts on my cars are not yellowish, but more like brushed zinc like Joe is showing. I wonder why they call the yellow stuff copy cad?
1939 LaSalle 5027
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

They call it copy cad because it is not cadmium.  It is zinc I believe.  Cadmium salts are not a friendly substance to have at home.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

las39

Quote from: Brad Ipsen CLC #737 on March 09, 2014, 11:25:45 PM
They call it copy cad because it is not cadmium.  It is zinc I believe.  Cadmium salts are not a friendly substance to have at home.
Thanks for the info
1939 LaSalle 5027
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

joeceretti

I think the zinc'd parts look very nice installed.

RobertM

Would a float charger be sufficient for the Eastwood kit?
Bob M
'54 60S
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

joeceretti

I don't know what a float charger is. The batteries work fine. What is a float charger?

RobertM

A trickle charger I guess.  It keeps a full battery at full charge. What batteries did you use for the kit?
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

joeceretti

It comes with a battery holder for D size cells.