News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tire pressure

Started by Dan LeBlanc, March 09, 2014, 08:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

As spring approaches and getting the car ready to stretch its legsagain, I'm wondering what tire pressure I should be running the bias plys on the 61 at. They're set to the 24psi listed in the manual, but that seems so incredibly low. Especially for such a heavy car
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

I run 32 in my radials; I would think 30 in your bias plys. Others chime in.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

joeceretti

Are the bias plys new or newish and what does the manufacturer recommend? I ran 24 in mine when I had the bias but they were at least 50 years old and the car was all over the place.

Alan Harris CLC#1513

My 1940 LaSalle recommends 24psi all around. I run tube type bias ply tires at 30psi all around. The car feels 1000% better at that pressure. At 24psi it wanders and wallows. At 30, the handling is better, the steering is easier, and the tires will probably last longer.

I don't know what they recommended such low pressures back then. I guess peoples' standards were different.

Dan LeBlanc

Hi Joe - the bias plys were put on in October for Fall Hershey and I've put on about 100mi since.

Alan - I'm getting much of the same symptoms you describe.

I suppose it cant hurt to give it a try at 30psi.  The sidewall says max 32psi cold.  The pressure seems low enough that the car is driving on four flat tires. I know that bias ply tires will feel sonewhat like that but I was thinkijg the low low pressure may be causing it too.

Can't wait for spring after the winter we've had
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Gene Beaird

If the tires recommend 32 cold, then definitely go with 30.  Personally, I'd run 32 and see if there's any harshness or vibrations with that setting.  If not, then I'd go with that. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873