News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Interior dying and painting.

Started by narnone, March 12, 2014, 05:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

narnone

I have a 1973 Eldorado with a red interior. I am sending the dash out to get redone. The dash company said they can match the red.  I need to paint or dye parts of the interior such as the steering column, sections of the dash along with the seat belt covers. I am sure there are other items I have not mentioned.  I am not dying the leather.
What has anyone used in the past and how does it look. I have seen some dye/paint jobs that are terrible. Where is a good place to purchase these at?
How do you insure you get the correct colors?
Nick Arnone
Shavertown, PA 18651
570-760-7956
Email: narnone@hlsm.com
1959 21' Century Coronado
1956 26' Chris Craft Continental
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - Normandy Blue
1977 Cadillac Seville San Remo - White
1973 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible Pace Car (Mark Donahue's VIP car)
1978 Lincoln Town Coupe Convertible (Custom) - Blue

NORTHPORTGUY

i am looking for an answer to the same question you asked so long ago.  did you ever get an answer?  what did you do? feel free to email me at KCWIEBKE@AOL.COM

thanks

Ken Wiebke
member 23103

Carl Fielding

Give Bill Hirsch a call. See if he can help you. His ad is in the Self Starter. Please report back here.  - Carl

76eldo

If you bring a piece to your local auto body supply store they can scan it and mix some paint and put it in an aerosol can for you.
Interior paints have a much lower gloss level and you will never find anything on the shelf that will work.

I did this on he steering column and a few other parts on a blue 60 And the results were excellent.

A couple of light coats is all you need on interior parts.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

D.Smith

SEM coat aerosols work great!    They are made for vinyl and metal interior surfaces plus work well on carpeting too.   I have used them many times with awesome results.

76eldo

I use SEM paints too. Excellent stuff on vinyl and dash pads and door panels.
On metal parts where you need to match a color you need to do it a bit differently.

With modern technology you can get a perfect mix handed to you in a spray can for about $30.00
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Tpicks55

I agree with SEM products.  Great color match and work very easy.  I also made friends with the local paint shop distributer and the help me on all paint issues.  Good luck.
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

Bobby B

Agreed....SEMS. They have great products that work awesome if you follow their specific PREP Instructions. They have a cut sheet that covers all the different products and how to use them for a perfect job. Not super cheap, but who wants to paint plastic/vinyl and have it fail.  >:(   Good Luck!
                                                                                               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

slowpoke17

I've used SEM's on 3 different vehicles and all with great results. Just make sure the prep work before the painting is done properly for best results. People tend to rush through it thinking it's clean enough.
John Federico

Jeff Wilk

Ditto ditto ditto on following the prep instructions with SEM. awesome results that LAST too

Good luck
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville