News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hood brace 42 series 67

Started by gary griffin, March 13, 2014, 01:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

My brace under the front of the hood was lost during painting and I am not sure exactly what it is or which year and model car I could get one from

Any help identifying the part and locating one will be appreciated.

garygriffin@Q.com
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jeff Hansen

Gary,

See the attached scan from the 1949 Master Parts Book.  I believe the part you are looking for is labeled "AY" in the drawing.  The official name in the parts book is "Lock Plate or Reinforcement, Hood Top Panel." 

The 1942 Master Parts Book shows two numbers: one to fit all 1941 cars and another to fit all 1942 cars.  The 1949 Master Parts Book shows the same part number for both years - but the part number shown in the 1949 book is for the 1942 part in the 1942 book. 

So at the worst, you need one from a 1942.  At best, it looks like one from a 1941 could be made to work.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

gary griffin

Thanks Jeff,

It seems I am always thanking you.

What a pleasure it is to belong to this organization and find great people like Jeff Hansen.

Does anybody have a better picture of the parts labeled AT, AX, and AW ?

Does anybody have access to these that may be for sale?

This is what happens when a project takes so long.  I am on the final stretch and finding minor shortages and mistakes to correct.  What a ride it has been. Soon I will update my Bolg with new pictures and information.

Thanks to everybody for the information and advice.
Gary Griffin

TMoore - NTCLC

Gary -

I don't have any of the parts out of the car, but I will be happy to take some pictures as installed - hopefully that will help.

gary griffin

Thanks Tod,

I will take you up on that. The part in the drawing is shown at an angle and a direct photo possibly with some dimensions such as length, width  and center to center dimensions on bolt holes.  If it is not found I will probably have to make one.

This is one of the problems with lengthy restorations.

Gary Griffin
Gary Griffin

TMoore - NTCLC

See if any of these make sense -

TMoore - NTCLC

and a couple more - let me know what specific measurements you want and I will see what I can do - as always, please excuse the rust

Jeff Hansen

Those photos tell the story.  Let me add one more pic - this one of how the front of the hood ornament is clamped to the hood.  There is a "U" shaped clamp under the bolt and washer.  The curly wire is a spring so that once you lift up on the ornament it will spring back to the down position.

Hopefully the picture is clear enough.  Trying to shoot against a black background is tricky.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

TMoore - NTCLC

Thanks for this pic, Jeff - I knew there was supposed to be a spring there, but never got a great picture of how it was set-up.  Sad that mine is missing, but it I bet that would correct some of the wobble of the hood ornament when going down the road.

I bet I will have a lot of fun trying to find those pieces, and based on the lack of indication of a clamp on my hood, mine has been gone for a long time.

TMoore - NTCLC

Gary -

Here is a standard picture, along with the quick measurements that I took off of my 1942 Series 67 - I am not sure all of the models were the same (especially since the 67 was a bit of an oddball)  That measurement between the first set of holes should be 5 1/4 " - let me know if this works for you.

gary griffin

Thanks Jeff, Tod, and Eddie Jones

It would be a lonely experience to attempt a restoration of a 72 year old car without knowing guys like you (and others in the club) were there to help me through the rough spots.

We (My painter and I ) are doing a last ditch search for the missing part and if we don't find it this week I will be ordering one.

Unbelievably I may even have two options. Now with the measurements that Tod provided from his 1942 -6719 I can verify if Eddie Jones has one on a 1946 he will soon be parting and also find out if the one pictured is the same.  As we all know parts can look alike and still not fit and Tod's dimensions will be a great help.

I have other car club affiliations also and it always starts out being about the cars and later it becomes about the fellow members.

Thanks to all for the support and advice that you have been providing.
Gary Griffin

Jeff Hansen

Gary,

Dimensionally, the '46 version may be similar but it won't have the latch mechanism that is riveted to the '41/'42 versions.  See Tod's photo 'inside.jpg'.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan