News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where to find seat foam for a 68 Calais

Started by Gene Beaird, March 13, 2014, 01:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Beaird

And just after I posted on another forum that I'd never ever re-cover my own seats again, after my toils over our 86 SVO seats, I have to ask the following:

The upholstery in our Calais is in pretty decent condition, but the foam under it has sagged badly on the left front seat corner.  Since I do have the tools to remove and reinstall the covers, I figure I could probably relatively-easily replace the foam, if only I could find some.  Does anyone make seat foam for older Cadillac sedans?  This is a bench seat with a fold down center arm rest.  I'm figuring that there's probably a matching Chevy seat that might match, but most of the upholstery vendors only sell seat parts for Camaros.  Thanks.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

txturbo

There is no model specific foam for cars this old. You just buy a roll of foam whatever thickness you need and lay it on the frame. There are companies that sell seat foam kits that come with a roll of burlap, a roll of foam and a roll of cotton batting but I don't recall names right now. I remember it being $99 for a bench seat though.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

Walter Youshock

This will most likely be moved to the Tech section...

All the foam under the cloth on my '57 was dryrotted and crumbling.  It was fine under the leather.  I removed the seat and got heavy-density foam rubber from a fabric store.  The seat covers are attached with bullnose clips.  Upholsterers use them.  Undo the clips and remove the old foam.  Cut the replacement foam to fit.  Use something like quilt batting to cover the foam, then stretch the seat cover and reattach it with the new bullnose clips.  There is a slotted tool you can get but I used a pair of heavy pliers.  If your seats are cloth, the fabric itself may also be dryrotted and it could start to fray or even split.  The cloth will be under a lot more pressure with the new foam installed.

I had my entire front seat done in a day.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Gene Beaird

Yeah, I've done/am doing the seats in our 86 Mustang SVO.  I have a nice set of hog-ring pliers and material stretcher, so I have that part taken care of.  I was hoping someone, somewhere made replacement foam.  I see kits for Camaros and C10 pickups, but haven't had much luck for too many other model of GM vehicle. 

Maybe one day soon I'll take the seat cover off and see what I'm working with under there.  I have no idea why the front left corner of the front seat has collapsed the way it has, the rest of the front and rear seats look perfect. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

txturbo

D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

Gene Beaird

I'm hoping not, but yes, it is a possibility.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873