News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Am I nuts? (76 DeVille Fuel and Brake lines)

Started by mgbeda, March 14, 2014, 03:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

So today I was going to at least start installing the new fuel lines I've gotten for Bessie ('76 SDV).  First step, figure out which end is front and back.  As I stood there puzzling over the lines, and staring at the car, I couldn't convince myself that either end looked like the front OR back of my lines.  Then I realized that two of the new lines are close to a match, bend wise.  That makes sense since there are two lines (the fuel return and vapor return lines) that run in a siamese pair all the way from the front to the back down the right side.  But those are 5/16 and 1/4 lines.  The new ones have a matched pair that are 3/8 and 1/4.  I even thought that maybe they just got the diameters wrong, but what the heck, I can run the fuel feed along the right side instead of the left; they all start and end in about the same places.  But the 5/16 new line doesn't look anything like the line that runs down the left side (which was 3/8 in the old lines).

So I said, well, hell, these are just wrong.  But at least I can install my new brake line.  That one didn't even come close to looking the same.  And the fitting is the wrong size, at least on one end.

I find it amazing that inline tube could screw up two separate orders.  Am I nuts?  Do I just have to do a lot of bending on my own?  I'd hate to do that and have it still not work and then end up with something I can't return.  Has anyone else used their lines, especially on a DeVille?

Thanks,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Jon S

Not surprised!  I had Classic Tube (who claimed to have the GM jigs) manufacture a brake line for me.  The only part resembling the original part was the fitting.  It had terrible and incorrect bends everywhere.  I found a local place that manufactures brake lines and gave him my original.  I asked how long would it take to match it up - his response "got 5 minutes?"  A perfect match in every respect and $15. as opposed to $45 plus shipping for Classic Tube!

Unfortunately, I find most "replacement" parts are a far cry from replacements!  Maybe I'm critical, but I expect a replacement to be exactly the same as the part I am replacing in shape, finish and fit.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

JoeKarasinski

I had inline do a set of 69 Chevelle fuel and brake lines years ago and they were perfect. Maybe the messed up. Call them.

76eldo

There is a fairly new material that's available in bulk tubing.

Comes on a roll, it's a copper nickel alloy and you bend it by hand.

I have removed sections of rusty lines, measured an overall length and the guy at my local auto parts store flares the ends for me.

To install, I start at one end, bend as I go, and put the lines back into the factory hold downs and if you take your time, you can get of to look factory.

The color is a little off, but these will never rust again.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Aprules2

Did you call them? I had great luck with classic and inline tube on my Firebirds and Mustang. Even a Mustang 2 and no one ever sent me the right parts for that car. Isn't 3/8 feed and 1/4 inch return the correct diameter? I honestly can't remember.  I actually planned on ordering new fuel lines from them in the summer, I have a pin hole somewhere and my fuel filter starts to empty at idle.  Let us know how you make out.

Scot Minesinger

First-that is great that you are doing this, it is well worth it, even though it only increases the retail value of the car by 15 cents.  It is one of the first things I do on a car made in the 1970's or older.  Even though my 35k rust free 1970 Cadillac SDV fuel lines and brake lines looked fine on the outside, lots of fine rust particles emptied out of them before I drained them and threw them in the trash.     

On the wrong size brake fitting at engine side, same with my 1970.  I cut the last 1/4" of tube on new fitting and slid wrong male compression nut off, slid original correct on and re-flared.

On the fuel lines, they are really failing to make them that close to original.  The first time I replaced them on my 1970 Cadillac in 2010 it was difficult but after an hour puzzled both in and installed - perfect.  Second time on another 1970 Cadillac purchased from same company in 2013 and after six hours of puzzling had to cut and splice.  The thick copper lined tubing is very difficult to double flare-on the 3/16" lines forget it.

If you expect they copy these fuel lines and brake lines well that is just wishful thinking - I'm leaning towards just making my own by copying what is removed next time.

You are not nuts, the company that made the lines is flawed.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

mgbeda

Hmmm, sounds like my experience is typical.

To be fair I bought a front-to-rear brake line for my '75 El Camino from the same company, and it fit perfectly.  That's what I was expecting from these too.

I haven't called them yet.  First I wanted to get an idea of what I should be expecting.  Over the weekend I can take a bunch of pictures for evidence; then I'll cal or email them, or both.

Thanks again for all the support.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610

Aprules2

Maybe try Classic Tube, if they cant help you?

Doug Houston

Is it possible that Cadillac made a running change on the fuel line size for better fuel delivery? Has anyone checked?

While I have bought several stainless brake lines from Inline Tube, I haven't ought any fuel lines. However, I'd expect them to be as perfect as new.

Fortunately, I can go to Inline's factory to buy my tubing sets
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Jon S

Quote from: Aprules2 on March 14, 2014, 11:43:48 PM
Maybe try Classic Tube, if they cant help you?

Did you read my note about Classic Tube, above?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

mgbeda

I wanted to let you all know that I called inline tube, and, so far at least, they seem to be very friendly and willing to help me get lines that fit.  First they want a bunch of pictures, to figure out whether I got sent the wrong parts, or whether their pattern itself is wrong.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

I found out yesterday that the front-to back brake line not only has the wrong bends, but is at least a foot too short.  But the other brake lines seem to fit.

Does the Eldorado also have the proportioning valve up at the front of the left frame rail, or is it further back?  Just wondering...

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610

Aprules2

Just curiosity, could the lines be for a Coupe Deville? Rather than a Sedan Deville? Isnt the Sedan a longer wheel base? I maybe totally wrong just a thought...

Scot Minesinger

Coupe and Sedan are same wheelbase, except Fleetwood is slightly longer
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

mgbeda

Yeah, Coupe and Sedan should be the same.  But I find myself speculating that maybe they're meant for an Eldorado.  Those do have the mail fuel feed on the right side.  And if they have the proportioning valve nearer the master cylinder rather than way forward like the DeVilles that would explain everything.

Of course they could also be for lots of other cars.  I just know they don't fit mine.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610