News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59 Decode

Started by bettyanncaddy, March 14, 2014, 08:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettyanncaddy

Last week I posted about being the new owner of a '59 Series 62 that has been in our family and past down.  Went ahead and joined today (and expect to hear more on that as time passes, such as member number, etc.).  Over the past couple weeks I have been able to learn quite a bit about this car and older Cadillacs in general.  I love this care more and more as I'm around it...got a question though.  Been able to decode the plate for paint, trim, style, accessories, etc. but can't figure out what the BODY portion is supposed to translate to - any help or direction is appreciated.  A few pics are posted of the vehicle and plate.

Still running rough but going to clear that up in the coming weeks.  Thank you -

S. Fairbanks
Steve Fairbanks CLC Member #28663

1959 Series 62 Coupe

Ken Perry

Nice looking Cad,thanks for posting pics. Woodrose one of my favorites.Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Chris Conklin

Wow! You're a member of a great family!! Open to adopting (me)?

The body number is the sequence number of when your car was built. I don't know that anybody has found out for sure, the FW is on most all tags whether they were bodied by Fleetwood or not. We do know for sure that the FW does not designate anything regarding the build data.
Chris Conklin

bettyanncaddy

Thanks Chris...that clears that up.  So, I have spoken with other classic car owners with various Chevy's and Ford's that have told me the data plate on them can designate where they were manufactured.  Can I assume that all 59 Cadillacs were built in the same location?  Would that location be Detroit?

Steve Fairbanks

1959 Series 62 Coupe

Chris Conklin

Yessir. At that time all Cadillacs came from Detroit.
Chris Conklin

bettyanncaddy

Thanks Chris...to answer answer your previous ques about being adopted, I could use another ssn to get more dependent's this time of year!

1959 Series 62 Coupe

bjorn1230

It means the body was built at the Fleetwood Plant like all Cadillac's were at that time. The bodies were then transported by trucks to the Clark Street Plant (a few blocks away) were final assembly was done. 18182 means your car was the 18182nd Series 62 Coupe built out of 21947 total, so your car must have been built probably around the Summer of 1959 just guessing.

bettyanncaddy

Great info. Thank you!

1959 Series 62 Coupe

Joshua

Hi Steve  :)

Also to let you know about the accessory codes:
E = easy eye tinted glass
H = heater
K = air conditioning
Y = 6 way power seat

Great looking car,
Joshua Cross
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 Window (X2)
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 4 Window
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood
1964 Volkswagen Type I