News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What to look at on my 56 Coupe Deville 365 engine

Started by junkyard junky, March 15, 2014, 11:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyard junky

My 56 has a leaking freeze plug on the drivers side. Its also leaking oil after sitting for 28 years. I'm planning on pulling the engine and checking everything out, replacing the freeze plugs  and gaskets. The cars has 102k miles on it and doesn't smoke or make any noise while running. Thinking about leaving the trans in the car when I pull the engine. Any certain parts or areas that I should look at? Of course I'm going to do the rear main seal and gaskets along with an oil pump and timing gear/chain. Once I inspect the engine and I see if there are any issues, it will be rebuilt. Thanks.

J.Rutledge

txturbo

If it doesn't smoke or make any noises then why rebuild it? If it just has leaks just fix those in the car. But if you just want to rebuild it and it's not having issues there really isn't anything to do but pull it out and take it to a machine shop for rebuilding.unless you just want to tear it apart yourself for the fun of it, but all the inspecting will just get done over again at the rebuilder.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

junkyard junky

I'm not going to rebuild it unless I find something that suggest that I do. Not sure if I can replace the freeze plugs without pulling the engine. Its leaking oil pretty bad at two locations. I hate a car that leaks oil constantly.