News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Windshield replace

Started by 60eldo, March 16, 2014, 12:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

I have a 1960 eldo and need to change the windshield because it has wiper marks on it and at night I can barely see. Ive heard you need to take out the dash pull down the roof liner and its a real nightmare. Has anyone done this recently and can tell me the truth.   Thanks
Jon. Klu

dplotkin

This is not for the inexperienced or unskilled auto glass guy. The biggest risk is breaking the replacement during install. Last I knew that glass was very expensive. I highly recommend you locate a glass shop that does a lot of antiques, that way they have more than likely dealt with the 59-60 GM compound curve monster.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Jeff Wilk

Had to do this on my 59 Fleetwood. Go here for the glass

www.autocityclassic.com

You will need a good glass guy.  Get new rubber from Steele or Rubber The Right Way also. No need to take dash out but all interior trim will have to come out and headliner will have to be pulled back on top front for access.

Good luck!
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

JoeKarasinski

I am a glass guy, and Jeff Wilk is correct. I replaced the windshield in my dad's 4 window years ago and it only took 3 or 4 hours. If you have experience replacing glass on cars from this era and feel up to the task I'm sure you'll do just fine. Just don't forget to back seal both between the rubber and body and rubber and the glass and around all the bolts that go through the roof and cowl.

I have my own 60 4 window 4 door now and it needs all the windows replaced. when I do them I'm going to try to document it to be helpful to others but realistically its probably a year off till I can get to it.