News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 DeVille Inner Door Panel Removal

Started by fabbrofour, March 17, 2014, 11:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabbrofour

Any tips or guidance on removing the interior door panel? Photos would be great. I hate to just start taking things apart and mess something up. I have the Fisher Body/Chassis manual, but it appears too generic for my taste.

Thanks

Scot Minesinger

It is very easy as Cadillac trim items go.  It is just about as simple as just taking things apart.  The power window plaque is removed with a screw or two and then unplug all the power devices, marking any if they look similar.  The door handle is a bit of a challenge, but it is not too bad either.  The bottom has 4 or five screws and there may be one on each side.  the sides have clips that snap out.  Window needs to be down to lift up and off car door.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

fabbrofour

Julien Abrahams

The mirror control also has to come off. This is held by an Allen screw at the bottom. First remove this, then the screws at the bottom and at the sides. Then move the panel up and back. Be careful: the attachnent of the powerwindow control is attached to a plastic thing which breaks quite easy. Then you can get at tge screw that holds the doorhandle/lock. Then you can lift it up and remove.

1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

fabbrofour

Thanks J. The toughest part was getting the crank for the vent window off. The keeper isn't easy to access. I'm thinking it will be a bigger problem when I go to put it back together.

It is apparent that someone had the driver's side panel off before and didn't do a good job of re-istalling it, as it doesn't fit up tight against the glass in the front like the passengers side does. Haven't determined the cause yet. Next steps are to remove and replace the window channels and weather stripping. Any advice is appreciated.

35-709

Putting the vent window crank back on is easy, put the spring clip in place on the crank, line up the knob where you want it to be when the window is closed (have the window closed  :)) and push it on.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

fabbrofour

Thanks!! I thought GM hired special people with little hands and that's all they did all day was put vent window handles on!!  :) Sometimes things are more simple than they appear.