News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

transmission

Started by Helecop4, March 18, 2014, 05:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helecop4

I am restoring a 1956 coupe de ville, series 62, and just had the transmission rebuilt. I was told to not use any fluid in it but  Jet away fluid. I have never heard of this. Can't I use regular ATF or does it have to be a particular kind? Thank you  Robert Blackett

joeceretti

The original fluid had whale oil in it. I am sure Dexron III is fine in that transmission.

J. Gomez

Robert,

The original transmission fluid used on the 1956 Hydramatic was the Type A. Type A still available at specialty suppliers mostly dealing in hydraulic equipment.

Since yours was rebuilt the current Dexron type should be acceptable. Dexron III maybe hard to find as Dexron IV replaced III back in 2006.

As Joe stated Dexron III would be fine on a fresh rebuilt transmission of you can find it.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

dadscad

I've been using Amsoil Multi Vehicle Synthetic ATF transmission fluid in my 63's transmission for many years, with excellent results. This fluid is suitable in applications calling for Dexron III.

HTH, David

Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Helecop4

Thank you all for your help. I am finding Dexron lV is readly available and some parts stores still have Dexron lll.