News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Engine Air Vent?

Started by bettyanncaddy, March 19, 2014, 08:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettyanncaddy

Again, just a newby here on my 59 so please excuse my ignorance and terminology usage.  On this 390 engine there is a metal piece that looks to attach to the air breather and looks like it used to have a hose or vent tube tube of some sort that attached from it to a point at the grill to allow air in for the carb.  All of this would run above the generator location.  Been trying to find out what this part is so it can be replaced as a total piece but cannot find what it is called or anything similar in parts books - any help is appreciated!

Steve Fairbanks
Steve Fairbanks CLC Member #28663

1959 Series 62 Coupe

35-709

If your car has air conditioning that could be the cooling hose attachment for the generator that AC cars had then.  It is a curved metal piece that fits on the back of the generator and the hose runs straight to it.  About all you can see in the picture below is the hose but the back of the gen. is where it is going.  Maybe another '59/'60 owner will have a better picture of the attachment to the rear of the gen --- I no longer own this car.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Coupe Deville

Hello. I will be curios to find out the outcome of this post because my 59 is missing these ducts too. It still has the factory holes in the radiator support. I had the opportunity to look at another 59 last weekend and it still had these ducts in place. One duct went back and connect to the back of the original generator. I have looked on the internet too and can not find any info on these ducts. I wonder were you can purchase them?

-Gavin   
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

59-in-pieces

Steve,
I agree with 35-709, if your car has AC.
There are 3 main components: the intake "funnel" mounted to the core support between the radiator and the battery box - the canvas, wire reenforced air tube - the "elbow & bail wire" which mounts to the rear of the AC generator.
There is a numbered photo which should help and the rear bracket of an AC generator for attachment.
The engine compartment photo is of a 59 showing the mounting of the air tube to the inner wheel well sheet metal with a metal horseshoe shaped bracket.
See attached photos.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Classic

The hose is typically called "defroster hose".  Dorman # 96004 is a 2.5" ID x 6 feet hose that will stretch and can be cut to length.  It should be available at just about every part store for around $17-18.  Other diameters are also available.  The other parts appear to be specific to Cadillac.  If you don't have them, they could be difficult to find.  However, it appears they could be fabricated if you can get the dimensions.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

bettyanncaddy

Appreciate all the input. The car does have AC but currently doesnt work.  The pic of the "cooling elbow" looks similar to what is remaining along with just a bit of the duct that is hanging on. Currently traveling for work but will take a look at this piece again on return and post a pic of it as well for verification.  The previous owner mentioned that the duct started on fire one day and my assumption is the wiring from the duct got exposed and some how shorted causing the fire and the reason why no more of the duct is left.

Steve Fairbanks
Steve Fairbanks CLC Member #28663

1959 Series 62 Coupe