News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

miracle penetrating oil

Started by Scot Minesinger, March 21, 2014, 01:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

It has been on the forum before, but just wanted to emphasize that the 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone is highly effective.  Had to remove exhaust manifold studs that secure the "Y" pipe flanges.  From the back of manifold where stud threaded in (you can see end of stud, - hole is all the way thru manifold ear) dripped some of this 50/50 mixture on it and next day it came out.  Had been working on this for a while with heat and all, and was ready to break it and drill it out.  After I got the stud out you could see where the 50/50 mixture had penetrated and did the job.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi, I have a 1902 Colt automatic that had the slide rusted to the frame. I have tried Kroil and what-all. I will certainly give this a try. Thanks for the tip.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

mgbeda

I agree 100%.  I was a skeptic, but it is amazing how well this works, much, much better than anything else I've ever tried.

Just don't get it on paint!

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

beastly beauties

I've used this mixture also. IMO, PB Blaster works safely and just as well as it is formulated to, especially when left to soak overnight. Just remember that acetone is extremely flammable, but it is critical to the mixture for penetration of threaded parts. It evaporates extremely quick and like others have stated, keep away from painted areas you care about, and also plastic components. In my 45 plus years in the automotive field I've heard of many avoidable fires from homemade remedies. The mixture would have been manufactured many years ago if it were a stable product and weren't for the high risk of fire. Use common sense and extreme care when applying. Sorry if I beat the safety issue to death but, believe it or not there are hobbyist that read these posted recipes and use unknowingly in a dangerous manner because there are no warning labels.   Stay Safe   David Symonds

Glen

I’ve been using the 50/50 mixture on 70 year old equipment and it is amazing how well it works.  Yes it is flammable but so is most penetrating oils. 

I think the main reason it is not commercially made is because the acetone and ATF do not mix.  They separate in a few minutes.  You have to keep shaking it as you use it.   My wife the conspiracy theorist says no one wants to make it because they can not patent it. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I found a cheap aluminum tray at WalMart last night for $2.50 and now have the mixture soaking down at the clock shop It didn't seem to separate all that much, but I did swirl it around some anyway. My pistol is the one with about nine inches of closely machined metal on the slide with a couple of ninety degree angles to go around. I hope it penetrates around corners.

That will make the pistol go from a $200 paperweight to a $700-$900 actual pistol if this stuff works.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Scot Minesinger

It should work if anything is going to.  All I could do was dab it on with a rag at the top of end of where the tip of the stud pokes thru the ear on the exhaust manifold.  Could not soak it except to leave the rag in place and hope it would get into the threads.  The threads have a slight interference to prevent accidental loosening, whereas your pistol does not have an interference fit.  You are soaking, where I could only dab.  This should do it if anything will.  Kiss any paint good buy though.  Hope you become $600 richer tomorrow.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

D.Yaros

The question I have is where does one buy acetone in order to brew up this concoction?
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

gary griffin

Dave, I think I got my last quart of acetone at a paint store. I have about 1/2 left and have used small dabs of it many times in the past few years. It could probably
also be found in hardware stores
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

35-709

Definitely hardware stores, and Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot -----------
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

joeceretti

Nail polish remover, not the type that says acetone free :) Some of the bottles say 100% acetone. The safest solvent next to the universal solvent (water).

On a side note, acetone really removes the paint from 1938 hub cap emblems very well. Also washes off cured permatex form-a-gasket from the fore arms.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Got 16 ounces of pure acetone at Walgreens for $5.  By the nail polish.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Tom Boehm

This is for Barry Wheeler: If the penetrating oil doesn't work I know what will. In extreme cases I have used Evapo-Rust with success. It is a water based non toxic rust remover that is advertised in Hemmings. It will not eat solid steel (only rust) and will not remove plating. It will remove bluing however. It will not etch the surface of unrusted metal. I was able to reuse the original piano hinges that were rusted solid from my 1940 Lasalle woodie. I made a trough from rain guttering and soaked them. It took about a month but the chemical  penetrated the hinge and dissolved the rust inside. Phosphoric acid rust remover would have eaten good metal by the time it penetrated. Even beadblasting did not remove the rust on the inside. www.evapo-rust.com. Available at retail stores. Tom Boehm

Glen

I buy the ATF at Wal-Mart and the acetone at Lowes or Home Depot by the gallon.  I mix it in a ketchup squeeze bottle.  No the acetone does not dissolve the bottle. 

Because the bottle is somewhat clear I can see the mix and it does separate when standing.  When separated it is clear, but when mixed it is a milky pink.  I apply it to the bolt with the spout on the bottle and let it soak.  It does separate after being applied.  You can see the acetone dancing around on the surface of the ATF for a while after you put it on. 

After applying it this way three times a week for a couple of months the head bolts on a model T engine that had been sitting in the weather for decades just can off with little problem.  The pervious owner broke the head bold he tried to take off.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

D.Yaros

Ok, Lowes or their competitors.  Got it!  Thanks.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/