News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1947 Cadillac Lubrication Agreement

Started by Bill Ingler #7799, March 22, 2014, 12:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ingler #7799

Here is an interesting Cadillac Lubrication Agreement that was given to each 1947 Cadillac new car buyer. It was Cadillac issued as the dealer just stamped their name in the front as you can see by the picture.A friend out here in Phoenix bought his 47 Cadillac from the original owner many years ago and along with other items found in the glove compartment was this coupon book pictured below. I have never seen one before and would think that many did not survive over the years, either all the coupons were used up or the coupon book, since it had a expiration date, was thrown away by the next owner. So my question is- in what year did Cadillac start issuing a Lubrication Agreement coupon book and about what year did the book with coupons stop being issued with each new car?   Bill

Walter Youshock

Not sure when they started but it was available through at least the early '60's.  It covered one year of oil changes, generally 6 coupons, and one transmission fluid change.  The one I have for '57 was based on an initial 500-mile change and checkup on a new car, then changes every 2,000 miles with a trans service at 12,000 miles.  They sold for about $25.  Imagine a full oil change and lube for $2.00!!!

Finding one that was not redeemed is interesting because the coupons were supposed to be sent back to Cadillac Clark so the dealership could be credited for doing the work.  If they weren't redeemed then it was a waste of money for the car owner.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Bill Ingler #7799

Walter: Thanks for your response. The several of the first coupons in this coupon book were torn out so I suspect that service was performed and the Cadillac dealer in Milwaukee got the credit. The rest of the 12 coupons stayed in the book. Why they were not used will never be known.  Bill

Walter Youshock

I don't think they were transferable if you sold the car, either.  That may explain why there are a few partial books out there.  I tried to find one of these for my '57 for years.  They're not all that common.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I have one floating around here somewhere for the 1941s.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville