News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac source/brand of very high quality points, condenser rotor?

Started by Scot Minesinger, March 23, 2014, 04:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Understand that this has been up on the forum before, but please help me.  The NAPA points, rotor, and condenser look terrible.  What is the best source or brand that is highest quality - price not a major issue, as these are inexpensive?  I know that I could go electronic ignition and have done so on one 1970 Cadillac - imperceptible from a performance perspective - might as well be able to drive after an EMP.  I live in Washington, DC metro area a target area for such an event (not worried, just saying).
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
Try and get yourself a NOS set of AC Delco points from somewhere in the 70's. That and a condenser of the same era should be good for (as they were originally) 7 or 8000 miles. Same thing with the rotor5.  I don't know how many "uni-set" assemblies I have tried over the years, and never once been successful.
Points are not rocket science, and there is not a lot of voltage ( or current) going through them, so just keep an eye on them and check the dwell every couple of thousand miles, just like was recommended in the 70's.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Alan Harris CLC#1513

NOS ones turn up on EBay all the time. In my own experience, back when I drove these cars daily, I never had a problem with the one piece point and rotor set.

A friend of mine says that condensors tend to go bad with age. If that is the case, you are probably best off using NOS points and a modern condenser.

The highest quality used to be Standard/Blue Streak. Standard is still around, but their stuff now is made in third world countries.

Any of the old well known brands of years ago are probably way better than what is made today.

Jon S

I agree with Gregg on all points, but I've always found my points/condensor last 20,000 miles and dwell stays at 30 degrees during that interval.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

76eldo

I have heard that modern replacements are junk.

II should grab a set for my 70 and keep them in the glovebox.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

Scot Minesinger

Petronix is installed on one of my 1970 Cadillacs and it works fantastic.  However, after making the switch it seemed no different at all in any way than the points from a driving perspective.  Yes the Petronix is more durable and maintenance free, which is why it is on this car I drive 5k miles per year.  Just going to keep this one stock and it will run after an EMP, when my other may not. 

R Schroeder

Scot,
You say in your original posting you bought NAPA points.
NAPA sells a brand called Proformer for about 6 bucks, and they carry ECHLIN points for about 22 bucks.
Which set are you not happy with ?
I have never had a problem with ECHLIN products.
I believe Standard owns them too.
Roy

SMP/ECHLIN info

http://www.napaechlin.com/Welcome+to+NAPA+Echlin-History/Content.aspx

Scot Minesinger

Did not know NAPA sold both kinds and have the $6 unit.  It seemed crazy that it was that cheap.  I bought some NOS points on e-bay yesterday as suggested, should have them tomorrow.  The $22 NAPA points set is probably good.  Thanks for this, will know next time.

cadillacmike68

I never had a problem with the Delco uni-sets. and they are easier to change being one piece.  I like how you can set the dwell by feel with the door in the cap and a 1/8 allen wrench.  ;)
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

35-709

Just make sure you get the DELCO uniset.  Most of what you get at the parts stores is made in China and I have had ZERO luck with them, ZERO.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

I have not yet had any quality concerns or issues with the Standard Ignition stuff.  Last stuff I bought was about a year ago and I have observed the packaging has changed so I would guess I have got more current production stuff and so far so good.   I can't say the same things about other brands even the ones that also used to be good names.  The store brand points are the absolute worst.   Napa / Echlin had a pretty long run of distributor caps (several applications) a few years ago where there was some issue with the plastic mixture that made them super prone to missfires especially with some of the cap designs.

I went through a period 5-10 years ago where somehow I ended up with something like 8 engines with points on them.  Seemed like I was constantly having issues with them.  Some got converted to some form of electronics, some got an electronic conversion that still used the points to trigger the electronics and even at that I still had issues with the points till I ended up with the Standards, since then I don't think I have had had to touch them since.

For a GM points system the Standard numbers are:

Cap  DR429   (adding a T is apparently their 'competitively priced versions)
Rotor DR311
Condenser DR70
Points DR2371XP (there is also a DR2370P that is the standard version without the lube wick)

You can likely type those numbers into a search and come up with a lot of places to buy them.
Places like Rock Auto have them along with AC delco and other brands.   I have been getting more and more stuff from Rock Auto lately and really don't have any complaints about dealing with them. 

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 35-709 on March 29, 2014, 10:04:34 AM
Just make sure you get the DELCO uniset.  Most of what you get at the parts stores is made in China and I have had ZERO luck with them, ZERO.

Agreed DELCO ONLY!!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Classic

I buy from both NAPA and RockAuto and am happy with both.  I did discover that NAPA often has more then one quality level.  Case in point:  A distributor cap I was looking at had an SB suffix to the part number and was black with aluminum terminals.  Another cap with the same part number but without the SB suffix was brown with brass terminals.  It was a little more money, but I thought it was better quality so I bought the brass terminal one.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

TJ Hopland

I just looked at some of the Standard stuff I have on the shelf.  Everything I got with 3 different styles of packaging including what I am suspecting is the current stuff says made in Mexico.  None of my stuff is the 'T' version so maybe if they are doing stuff in China that would be the stuff.

Couple of notes about Rock Auto since I brought it up,  one is if you search online you can usually find a 5% discount code.  They take Pay Pal so if you have an account with Paypal you don't need to enter more credit into which I like.   Another thing is you have to watch the shipping, they have several warehouses across the USA and it seems to me that more often than not what I want is spread out between them.  Like in this case the cap may be in Wisconsin but the rotor is in Arizona and the condenser is in Georgia.  With those small parts it won't likely be that bad because they will put single small items in a envelope but it does end up adding up.   When you 'add to cart' the parts and go to the cart page it will show you which stuff comes from which location so you can see whats going on.  If I am not willing to change brands to find all the parts from the same location I usually will browse the catalog and see if I can find some other things from the locations to make it worth the shipping.   They often have closeout items if you look for them that are really good deals.  I got 6 AC delco oil filters for my Oldsmobile that turned out to be NOS for $1.50 each.  I also got the Fram version of the K&N super duper washable air filters for the same car for $4 each.  Can't beat that.   For that price I am throwing them away like the regular ones.   I have not found a way to search for close out items for a specific car so you have to just think of parts you may need and look.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason