News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Notorious

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, March 24, 2014, 11:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I watched most of this Hitchcock movie last night on TCM. It has a plethora of 1941 Cadillac convertibles. Two of them as well as a 1942 Cadillac Series 67 limo. The first is a darker color car used by Ingrid Bergmann. She gets loaded at her own party and takes Cary Grant on a top down cruise at high speed down a dark road. The movie shifts to Rio, and there are some street scenes of the lighter colored (Dusty Gray?) convertible that Grant uses as "his" car. The limo is Claude Raines' personal car which transports Bergmann to and from his home. A trunk view gives just about enough light to show the narrower '42 emblem on the back than a 1941.
As I was watching the conclusion, where Grant and Raines almost literally drag the drugged Bergmann down the marble staircase and out the front door, where the convertible is waiting under the portico, what might have happened if suddenly, time was advanced about twenty years and the car wouldn't start, allowing the Neo-Nazis to walk out and see what is really going on. (They want to "talk" to Raines who has goofed up by marrying an American agent.) Good Hitchcock, and of course nice shots of the cars.

The Gray car is probably the one used in the Betty Grable glamour shot, and in The Glenn Miller Story, Wings of Eagles, and another that I can't recall.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Mr Peanut

You should check out the Internet Movie Cars DataBase  [http://imcdb.org/] You can search by movie title or by make of automobile.  There a tons of screenshots of Cadillacs (and all other makes) that have been posted from movies.  Here are a couple that you mention.  The description is from the website......Chuck
Currently in my "old car" herd:
1930 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan
1931 Ford Model A "rat rod" Pickup
1936 Chevrolet 5 Window Coupe
1937 Cadillac 6011 Two Door Sedan - Body #6
1956 Cadillac Sixty Special Fleetwood Sedan
1958 GMC 100 Series Fleetside Pickup
1961 Plymouth Belvedere
1973 Ford F100 Pickup
1978 Dodge D100 Pickup
1980 Shay Roadster
1983 Maxda RX7 (it is over 30 years old now!)

Mr Peanut

BTW - If you are looking for LaSalle screenshots you will notice that they are not listed on the page.  You have to click on "see complete list..." in the bottom right corner.  Instead of a list of 203 makes you get a list of 3,606 makes - including LaSalle..............Chuck
Currently in my "old car" herd:
1930 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan
1931 Ford Model A "rat rod" Pickup
1936 Chevrolet 5 Window Coupe
1937 Cadillac 6011 Two Door Sedan - Body #6
1956 Cadillac Sixty Special Fleetwood Sedan
1958 GMC 100 Series Fleetside Pickup
1961 Plymouth Belvedere
1973 Ford F100 Pickup
1978 Dodge D100 Pickup
1980 Shay Roadster
1983 Maxda RX7 (it is over 30 years old now!)

Quentin Hall

Next time I see a group of Cadillacs , I will know to call it a " plethora of Cadillacs" hehe.   ;)
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Martin Michaels

The Vincent Price movie, House on Haunted Hill opens up with the guests all arriving in what I believe are 10 1956 series 75 limos(it's been a long time since I seen it)
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Glen

Quote from: Quentin Hall on March 25, 2014, 06:58:00 PM
Next time I see a group of Cadillacs , I will know to call it a " plethora of Cadillacs" hehe.   ;)

A bunch of Fords would be a “Rattle of Fords” ? ;D >:D

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Walter Youshock

Frank Sinatra, Carolyn Jones, Edward G. Robinson and Eleanor Parker in "A Hole in the Head", 1959.

Frank's character drives around Miami Beach in his then 2-year-old '57 series Orion blue 62 convertible.  An old millionaire friend comes to town and he and his wife are chauffeured around in a new Persian Sand '59 Biarritz.  Frank's character is in desperate need of money so he sells his '57 back to the local Cadillac dealer, the lot filled with used Cadillacs.  The movie is worth it just for the Cadillacs.  The soundtrack also introduced JFK's campaign theme song "High Hopes".
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Barry M Wheeler #2189

There is a "B" movie out there somewhere in B&W that shows a chase scene using a 1941 Series 62 sedan making a really sharp turn at way too high a speed. It was on a wide, city intersection, so the worst that could have happened was to roll the car.

Also, here is a question for Bill Ingler, the flyboy. I saw a B&W picture about a two-bit airline that a DC-3 (which was the star of the show as far as I was concerned,) makes a questionable landing on a too short strip. The shot ends with the pilot standing on the brakes so that the airplane shudders to a stop on the main gear with the tail rising up off the ground so that the plane ends up for a moment in "take-off" position just before it would have run into the trees or over a cliff. I can't remember which.

I think it was one of those pictures where both the male star and the second lead have the hots for the girl, and one or the other of them "dies in the end." I'd love to see it again. Any help on the name?
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville