News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

UPS throwing my parts around >>>Video

Started by 76eldo, March 24, 2014, 07:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

Remember Dan in Florida with the smashed 84 Biarritz convertible?

I bought the quarter windows and rear interior and special convertible moldings and two boxes were delivered today.

We did this the smart way and had UPS box, ship, and insure the boxes.

Take a look at the UPS man's technique for "Drop box while moving forward, let it bounce off the front door and land wherever"
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203544891726665&l=7816678294375277540

Luckily the 2nd box had the two window assemblies.  There was no damage, but...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Great evidence for a claim.

But, if anything was broken, I can't see it happening at that point, as the "drop" was only a short distance.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

R Schroeder

That guy is a pansy next to the guy that drops mine off..............ha
Seems everything I get comes UPS.
I use FedEx for my shipping.
The packages that do come to me from FedEx are always in great shape.
UPS, and USPS you can keep. Both suck.
Roy

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Roy Schroeder
UPS, and USPS you can keep. Both suck.
Roy
/quote]

I would normally agree with you and add the Parcel arm of the British Post office to that list but yesterday (Monday)I had a parcel delivered here in the UK posted by a very good friend in Maryland only last Thursday in perfect shape including some glass items.  Parts I have ordered from UK suppliers on that day have yet to arrive!
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

MY 59

what a careless ape, that really is a disgrace
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

76eldo

The worst deliveries I have ever received were from the Post Office.
I buy literature which comes in large envelopes marked do not bend or fold and they have been bent to fit inside my mailbox instead of left at the door. Ive had small packages left on top of the mail box and once left at the curb below the mailbox.

Complaints call on deaf ears.

I have a UPS account at work and use them all the time and only ever had damage one time.

It's annoying to see my parts tossed around like that.
That particular box was very light for the size so I guess he figured it was not fragile or important.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

rghobden

Can you get a larger mail box so your carrier won't have to leave your packages on the ground or take it to the door?  Seems to me it's the obvious thing to do since we do a lot of cyber-shopping now.  I'm speaking from my experience as a part time mail carrier.  I've spent a lot of time trying to find a safe and secure place to put a customer's package when it won't fit in the mail box and the customer isn't home.  Many times we have to leave a note saying the package can be picked up at the Post Office.  Russ Hobden 1235
Russ Hobden, CLC #1235

76eldo

I have the large size regulation box.  The PO wants to do business and deliver packages as well as mail.  This box was UPS, not the PO.

The former carrier is no longer on my route and I generally have no problems with my mail.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

I made my own Letter Box.   With a slot that will take a letter that is slightly larger that the widest envelope used.   And the hole is 1 1/2" deep.

I got sick of the Self Starter, and other books and magazines being bent over.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

and on the other side is my UPS guy...

He has been the same guy for 10 years, we chat, he likes old cars, and he takes exceptionally care of me.

Life is good in Colorado.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

35-709

My experience with UPS mirrors John Washburn's, he likes my cars and takes good care of me.  He also always has a small dog cookie for Augie Doggie so Augie raises particular hell if we don't open the door and let him out when he spots the UPS truck pulling up.   ;D

How good or bad your USPS, UPS, Fedex delivery person is is pretty much the luck of the draw I would guess.

Oh, UPS, Fedex cannot use USPS postal delivery boxes.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Glen

The UPS guy here leaves the package anywhere on the property, even if someone is home.  He won’t come to the door and ring the bell.  Currently the guy is breaking in a new driver.  The new guy jumps off the truck with the package and drops it on the property while the driver turns the truck around. 

Once the driver gave a camera to my next door neighbor because he was sanding in front of my house.  I did not know until I checked tracking and found it was marked as delivered three days ago. 

I keep expecting them to take a cue from the paper boy and toss the packages out as they drive by. 

FedEx drops it at he door, rings the bell and leaves. 

I have opted to not buy from a site that only ships by UPS. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

After reading all this I went back and watched the video.   I must be missing something because the way it was shot with the slight time lapse and angle I really didn't see anything that looked that terrible.   Sure I would like to imagine that my valuable stuff is handled extra carefully but I know that just is not the way it is.   I would bet that those boxes got banged around a lot harder way before that one tipped over at your door step.   A lot of those drivers seem to be with the company for years and years.  If they were constantly breaking stuff they wouldn't still be there.   I do suspect that the residential routes are the newer or lower rated drivers and its considered a crappier jobs because they have to deal with figuring out where to put stuff and deal with dogs and such vs. the commercial routes that are likely more consistent so they know the people and which door to use and the hours and such.   I have all my stuff shipped to my work so I don't have to worry about stuff sitting outside.  I suppose if you work for a large company or are retired you may not have that option.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Caddyjack

Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

R Schroeder

Jack, that was funny. I remember that movie.
That's about what mine look like when UPS delivers to me.
Roy

TJ Hopland

Somehow I knew that was going to be the movie clip.   
My favorite part is when the customer says 'sounds broken' and he says 'probably, sign here'. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

julianburke

Not only does FedEx Ground get my vote, I always ship FedEx.  Packages always arrive crisp and strong as the moment they were shipped.  UPS has antiquated shipping platforms, packages always get thrown and they are union as FedEx is not.  UPS is very difficult to get a claim and they always say it wasn't packed properly per their rules regardless of how it was packed so they always deny the claim until you call the supervisor to come and inspect and still is difficult.  I have shipped with FedEx for the last 17 years with only 3 claims.  UPS got so bad that I had to stop using them.

62 driver

My old UPS driver dropped out of his driver door a (rear convertible window) box in the middle of my driveway.  Then when he backup over it with his front tire leaving tire tracks over the now flat box and clean concrete!  The company that sent the box to me had to replace the window and file with UPS.   
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889