News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'76 Coupe DeVille Roof Molding

Started by Jeff Moffo, March 26, 2014, 07:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moffo

Good Morning everyone,
I was wondering if anyone had experiences in removing the molding shown in the picture.  Although this is not my car, I would like to remove mine in order to glue a piece of the vinyl top that has come loose from under the molding.
Seems pretty simple using some 3M contact cement IF I could get that trim molding off AND NOT DESTROY IT!!
Thanks,
Jeff M.
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

Hankk17

on a related note - how does one replace the plastic trim that's shrunken up in that picture that runs along the molding?  it shrinks as it ages and gets all wavy..

In terms of removal, I'm sure someone will post a definitive answer, but I know when I had my CDV repainted they had a hell of a time getting the molding off.  you have to take apart the interior (roof, rear seat and side panels) to access the pins on the other side.  IIRC they're held in place by this thick goopy substance that covers stamped sheet metal nuts.  It's a two-man job putting it all back as well.  one holds it in place while the other fastens everything.

good luck!

-Hank k
Wherever you go... There you are

Jeff Moffo

Hi Hank, 
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a ton of work. I just have to remove the driver side piece under the rear side window to glue a 4" strip of vinyl back to the car that has come unglued and popped up and out from under that molding. I thought this would be an easier fix!!
Jeff M
North Jersey

Hankk17

don't take my word as gospel.  Lets see if others chime in with their thoughts.

-Hank
Wherever you go... There you are

Jeff Moffo

So you know, the molding is easily removed.  Simply take the stainless edge from the piece that goes up and over the roof off first.  The "lace" molding along the lower part of the window that wraps around the back will simply pop off the fasteners.   :P CAREFUL or the fasteners could snap.
I believe the fasteners are still available: GM part # 1688094.
They attach to weld screws along the sheet metal!
Jeff M.
Jeff M
North Jersey