News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Neutral Switch follies

Started by cadillacmike68, March 29, 2014, 01:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Well, the Neutral switch on my 1968 seems to have developed vacuum leaks in both the A-B and C-D ports. It caused no end of grief with the Climate Control until we identified it. The electrical portion works fine.

I had a spare in the glove box, and we installed it - no vacuum leaks but the reverse lights won't light. I had it sitting in my glovebox for about 8 years.

I Think the internal sliding contacts are possibly greased over or maybe oxidized. I'm going to try moving it back and forth maybe 100 times to see if that cleans things up any.  Failing that it might become a matter of taking both switches apart and putting the good electrical part on the good vacuum part. But this course of action is fraught with potential disaster like breaking off more than 1 tab on the good vacuum part or breaking the bakelite on the good electrical one.

Any ideas or suggestions?  Its a two year only part (1967 & 1968), and somewhat pricey to get.

Does anyone rebuild these or offer decent working used ones at reasonable prices?

Also, is there a reliable epoxy that can glue the bakelite back to the metal base??

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

How did you determine the vac was leaking?  Was it obvious or did you have to do some detective work?
Use an ohm meter across the backup light terminals to see what kind of resistance you get.  If there is a little then you probably have dirty contacts.  If it is very hi then there may be a internal problem with the switch. 
The reason I ask is, without seeing the switch, I think it would be odd that part of the switch, the starting circuit, would be OK yet the backup light would be bad.  I would think that it is just 1 slide that swipes the contacts inside the switch depending on its position.  If it will start then it should fire the lights.  Maybe try (I hate to even suggest this) to see if the starter will engage in reverse or drive.  Maybe the whole switch is just bad. 
Will the backup lights work in ANY position or not at all.  And, may I ask, did they work before?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

cadillacmike68

I used a vacuum pump / gauge on the ports. I had to figure out the A-B-C-D, and both pairs are leaking.  I used a meter and continuity tester on the electrical parts of the one with bad vacuum ports. It had good connections in Park and Neutral for the starter spades and good contact in Reverse for the reverse lights spades.

The other switch (with good vacuum ports) is in the car and we'll check the electrical contacts today.

There are Two slide electrical contacts on it (I separated the one with bad vacuum ports). I put a little grease on the electrical side and generous amounts of grease on the vacuum posts side, but I couldn't figure out how to get that plastic vacuum port assemble out of the metal housing. After I got it back together, the electrical was still good on both switches and A-B seems to hold vacuum but C-D (parking brake release) is still leaking.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mike,
If you find you need to take the switch apart, and it is usually quite do-able, taske extreme care in bending the tabs back, just enough to disassemble the switch. Carefully clean the contacts, check the pad and then carefullly re- assemble and bend the tabs closed. I have done this sucessfully on several switches, and on some the tabs have broken off.  This was cured with the judicious use of JB Weld in very small gobs on the exterior of the switch (where it would not interfere with the fit once assembled to the column), while the switch was clamped together.
I would, however first make sure the switch that you can't get neutral on is the correct one AND that you have it adjusted correctly.
All else fails I believe "Cadillac Tim" specializes in these switches.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

fabbrofour

Mike,

You didn't say, but I assume you have checked to make sure you have power to the switch for the back-up lights? I just replaced my NSS with one for a Buick. It's exactly the same as the Caddy switch less the vacuum ports for the parking brake. When I put it in reverse the back up lights didn't come on unless I went past reverse and then back up. I adjusted where the switch mounts on the column and now they work fine.

I plan on purchasing a second switch and make one good one from the Caddy and the new Buick switch. As already stated, be extremely careful bending the tabs back to remove the bakilight part.

I switch I purchased is Standard NS7. I got it from Rock Auto for $17

cadillacmike68

Quote from: fabbrofour on March 29, 2014, 01:39:10 PM
Mike,

You didn't say, but I assume you have checked to make sure you have power to the switch for the back-up lights? I just replaced my NSS with one for a Buick. It's exactly the same as the Caddy switch less the vacuum ports for the parking brake. When I put it in reverse the back up lights didn't come on unless I went past reverse and then back up. I adjusted where the switch mounts on the column and now they work fine.

I plan on purchasing a second switch and make one good one from the Caddy and the new Buick switch. As already stated, be extremely careful bending the tabs back to remove the bakilight part.

I switch I purchased is Standard NS7. I got it from Rock Auto for $17

I broke one tab off the non-working one - that's why I'm reluctant to take apart the one with good vacuum.  It seems to be holding together ok with three, but it still has a bad C-D vacuum port combo.

The reverse lights worked two weeks ago on the switch with bad vacuum ports. We're checking that as well.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Greg, thanks for the hint on the JB Weld.  I'm getting start in neutral and park, just no reverse lights in Reverse. That's a separate slider in the switch. 

I wrote Tim Groves we'll see what he says. In the meantime proper Climate Control function takes precedence over reverse lights.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

I ordered a couple of switched from Tim; that should solve it. Then I can experiment without fear of FUBARing up my only good switch.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike