News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Error code for 2002 DeVille

Started by Jack McClow CLC #15840, March 30, 2014, 11:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McClow CLC #15840

This request just in from a friend of mine who has a low mileage 2002 (or maybe 2003) DeVille.  Can anyone help me answer this question for my friend?

The question:

I have an error code on the Cadillac:  PCM  -  P0410

My service garage (non-dealer) tells me it's a check valve problem that's expensive ($1,300) to repair.  They did clear the error and told me not to worry unless it keeps coming on. Well, it keeps coming on. 

I need to go to Blacksburg, VA on Wednesday (4 hrs. each way).

Can you check to see if that error code is a check valve problem, and if so, should I get it fixed before going on my trip?  Does the $1,300 sound about right?

Thanks for any assistance with this request,

Jack.

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

harry s

Jack, My neighbor had an '02 DTS with  a similar problem last year. The two secondary air system lines were deteriorated and also the air pump was malfunctioning. He replaced the parts and cured the problem. There is a schematic for the system on Alldata. His explanation for this system was to aid in engine efficiency during start and warm up. He drove his car with the check engine light until time for emissions test. This info may or may not be the same as your friends but for that kind of money it is worth checking around. Good Luck to him,     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Dave Shepherd

No danger in driving the car this way, the above stated info is on the money, of course it will fail an emissions test.

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Thanks to everybody for help with this question. Just as you said, the car ran fine on the trip. Now my friend can try the other suggestions to see if a less expensive solution to the problem can be found.  Thanks again so much for all the assistance.   Jack.

brian faull clc#25881

They had bad placement of the air pump and they would suck up water. I used to see this all the time at the Cadillac dealership. Check your Maxi-fuse under the hood. It is probably blown and the a.i.r. pump probably sucked up a bunch of water and burned out. Not definitely sure without looking but that was the usual culprit. I attached a copy of the bulletin with the updated a.i.r.pump and intake hose assembly number. Hope that helps. Brian.

Subject: Service Engine Soon (SES)/Check Engine Light MIL Illuminated, Secondary Air Injection Reaction (AIR) Pump Ingesting Water, DTC P0410 Set (Replace Secondary Air Pump/Inlet Hose Assembly or Filter Kit) #02-06-04-024G - (06/05/2006)

Models: 2000-2003 Cadillac DeVille

2001-2002 Cadillac Eldorado

2001-2004 Cadillac SLS, STS

2001-2003 Oldsmobile Aurora

with 3.5L V6, 4.0L or 4.6L V8 Engine (VINs H, C, Y, 9 -- RPOs LX5, L47, LD8, L37)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the model year for Cadillac DeVille, parts usage information and enhance the bulletin content. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-024F (Section 6 - Engine).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on the "Service Engine Soon" (U.S.) or "Check Engine Soon" (Canada) malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) being illuminated.

Technicians may find these additional conditions:

• DTC P0410 set.

• Evidence of water in the Secondary Air Injection Reaction (AIR) Pump.

• Secondary AIR Pump shorted out/inoperative.

Cause
This condition may be due to water being ingested at the secondary air injection reaction (AIR) pump inlet hose, causing the pump to short out or seize up.

Diagnostic Information
DTC P0410
Refer to SI for diagnostic information on DTC P0410.

If the diagnostic information above indicates a faulty AIR pump, follow the correction procedure below.

Notice: After the service procedure in this bulletin was been completed, the Secondary Air Injection Shut-Off valve(s) must be checked. A stuck valve (from carbon) can cause exhaust condensation to collect in the air pump causing a repeat non-function AIR pump.

Correction
Aurora and DeVille
Notice: A new Secondary AIR pump and Inlet hose assembly (kit), P/N 19515548 , is now available and must be installed if the AIR pump is replaced. Non-replacement and re-routing of the AIR pump inlet hose when servicing the AIR pump may result in a repeat non-function AIR pump from water ingestion.

Turn the wheels to the left.
Open the hood and install fender covers
On DeVille models, remove the upper filler panel. Refer to SI for information on the removal of the upper filler panel.
Remove the left headlamp assembly. Refer Headlamp Replacement in SI.
Remove the exiting AIR inlet hose retainer located between the inner and the outer fender.
Remove the secondary AIR pump. Refer to Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Pump Replacement in SI.
Remove the AIR pump inlet hose from the vehicle.
Install the new Secondary AIR Pump and Inlet Hose Assembly (Kit), P/N 19515548. Refer to Secondary AIR Injection (AIR) Pump Replacement and Secondary Air Injection Pump Outlet Pipe/Hose Replacement in SI.
Remove the left front inner fender splash shield retainers.
Reposition the splash shield to allow access for the new hose assembly installation.
Important: Install the new Secondary Air Injection Pump Outlet Pipe/Hose Assembly to the new Air Pump before installing to the vehicle. This will allow the housing on the hose/pipe assembly to fasten to the pump without damage to one of the holding fasteners.

Important: Located on the inner fender behind the air box there is a oval stamped hole. The new AIR filter must snap into this hole in order for the AIR pump to avoid ingesting water. Removal of the Air Cleaner Assembly may be necessary.

Route the new AIR pump inlet hose between the left inner and out fenders as shown above.

Notice: Secure the new AIR pump inlet hose and filter into the opening on the inner fender as shown above. If the filter is not properly secure to the inner fender repeat Non-Function Air pump may occur from ingesting water.

Snap the filter into the inner fender opening as shown above.
Reposition the inner fender splash shield into position.
Install the inner fender splash shield retainers.
Lower the vehicle
Install the left headlamp assembly. Refer to Headlamp Replacement in SI.
On DeVille models, install the upper filler panel. Refer to SI for installation procedures for the upper filler panel.
Check the operation of the Shut-Off Valve(s). Refer to SI for Secondary Air Injection description and operation of Shut-Off Valve(s) or refer to DTC P0410 for diagnostic testing of vacuum system, hoses, vacuum solenoid and shut-off valves.
Remove the fender covers and close the hood.
With a scan tool clear the DTCs and road test the vehicle.
SLS/STS
Notice: A new Secondary AIR Pump and Inlet Hose Assembly (Kit), P/N 19515548 (2001-2003 SLS/STS) and 19515549 (2004 SLS or STS only), is now available and must be installed if the AIR pump is replaced. Non replacement and rerouting of the AIR pump Inlet hose when servicing the AIR pump may result in a repeat Non-Function AIR pump from ingesting water.

Open the hood and install fender covers
Remove the upper filler panel. Refer to Filler Panel Replacement - Upper in Body Front End in SI.
Remove the left headlamp assembly. Refer to Headlamp Replacement in SI.
Remove the AIR hose retainer.
Remove the secondary air injection (AIR) pump. Refer to Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Pump Replacement in SI.
Remove the AIR hose assembly.

Important: Install the new Secondary Air Injection Pump Outlet Pipe/Hose Assembly to the new AIR pump before installing to the vehicle. This will allow the housing on the hose/pipe assembly to fasten to the pump without damage to one of the holding fasteners.

A new Secondary AIR Pump and Inlet Hose Assembly (kit), P/N 19515548 (2001-2003 Seville) or P/N 19515549 (2004 Seville only), behind the headlamp mounting bracket as shown above.
Lower the vehicle

Notice: It is critical that the new AIR inlet hose filter opening is facing downward when installed on the vehicle. If improperly installed Non-Function AIR pump may occur due to ingesting water into the pump.

Secure the new AIR hose filter with a plastic tie strap to the upper radiator support with the filter opening facing downward as shown above.
Install the headlamp assembly. Refer to SI Headlamp Replacement in SI.
Install the upper filler panel. Refer to Filler Panel Replacement - Upper in Body Front End in SI.
Check the operation of the Shut-Off Valve(s). Refer to SI for Secondary Air Injection description and operation of Shut-Off Valve(s) or refer to DTC P0410 for diagnostic testing of vacuum system, hoses, vacuum solenoid and shut-off valves.
Use a scan tool clear the DTCs and road test the vehicle.
Eldorado
Notice: A new Secondary AIR Pump, P/N 25770944, and Inlet AIR Pump Filter Kit, P/N 15783306, are now available and must be installed if the AIR pump is replaced. Non-replacement and re-routing of the AIR pump Inlet hose and filter when servicing the AIR pump may result in a repeat non-function AIR pump from water ingestion.

Open the hood and install fender covers.
Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
Install a new AIR pump, P/N 25770944. Refer to Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Pump Replacement in SI.
Lower the vehicle.
Remove the left headlamp assembly. Refer to Headlamp Capsule Replacement in SI.
Remove the push-on retainer from the AIR hose.
Remove the exiting AIR filter from the hose.
Measure and mark 20 cm (8 in) back from the AIR hose end.
Cut the AIR hose at the mark made in the above step. DO NOT discard the cut off piece of hose.
Install one clamp from kit, P/N 15783306, onto the AIR hose.
Install the connector from kit, P/N 15783306, into the air hose.
Install the cut off piece of the AIR hose onto the other end of the connector.
Install the other two clamps onto the open end of the cut off piece of the AIR hose.
Notice: It is critical that the new AIR inlet hose filter opening is facing rearward when installed on the vehicle. If improperly installed, a non-function of the AIR pump may occur due to water ingestion into the pump.

Install the new AIR hose filter from kit, P/N 15783306.
Crimp all three clamps.
Plastic strap the AIR hose to the headlamp mounting bracket.
Reinstall the left headlamp and closeout panel. Refer to Headlamp Capsule Replacement in SI.
Use a scan tool clear the DTCs and road test the vehicle.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Pump Asm - Secondary AIR (Eldorado Only)

Pump AIR and Hose Asm - Secondary AIR Pump (Inlet) (Aurora, DeVille and SLS or STS)

Pump AIR and Hose Asm - Secondary AIR Pump (Inlet) KIT (2004 SLS/STS only)

AIR Pump Inlet Filter - Kit (Eldorado Only)
brian faull clc#25881