News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Eldorado cruise control removal

Started by christina lamphere, March 31, 2014, 05:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

christina lamphere

Want to remove the cruise control on a 1968 eldorado any worries with this?

Scot Minesinger

You will need to replace the speedometer cable, including the dash connection at back of speedometer.  This is no picnic in a 1967/68 Cadillac.  You have to be careful and patient, takes 1.5 hours-read shop manual.  Otherwise a breeze.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

Scott: Why would she have to replace the dash connector? The manual doesn't specify this. It only specifies that the non-cruise control speedometer - (which is a different length and has the connector for going into the instrument panel already at one end) is needed.

It's not a cake walk, but possible. You can leave the dash speed dial bezel there (but remove the control cable when you change the speedometer cable).

Christina - yours is inoperable? I got mine working (finally) and it works pretty well.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

No dash changes, just need to access back of dash and remove the cruise cable and change to the non-cruise cable.  I agree, better to just fix the cruise.  I restored a 1967 Cadillac cruise and just received an inquiry to repair a 1968 Cadillac Eldorado cruise control.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

Christina, I have several spares for the cruise control including a known good control cable (and a bad one!!), 2 dash bezels, the speedo cables and a power unit (the big thing in the engine compartment - although the Eldorado might take a different power unit). If you want to get it working, let us know.

Tim Groves also sells reconditioned units.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

mikanystrom

Hi,

If any of you guys have extra parts for the 1968 cruise control lying around and want to sell them, do let me know.

I have bought a '68 without the cruise and I would love to have it, would try to retrofit it. So I could use any gadgets out of it!

I'm in Southern California.

Mika
1970 De Ville Convertible
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Series 75 Formal Sedan
1968 Eldorado "Purple Sister"
------------------------------------------------
1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 455 4-spd
1999 Camaro SS Convertible 6-spd
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX :-)

mikanystrom

Well I already have the dash apart.  The car is a real basket case (see my signature!) and will need lots of work in this area anyhow, so I figure.. how much extra work can it be??

(But yes I had heard the same from elsewhere, too, so I definitely believe you.)
1970 De Ville Convertible
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Series 75 Formal Sedan
1968 Eldorado "Purple Sister"
------------------------------------------------
1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 455 4-spd
1999 Camaro SS Convertible 6-spd
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX :-)