News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tire Pressure on a 1941 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Imperial Town Sedan

Started by d1jab01, April 01, 2014, 05:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d1jab01

I have a 41 Cadillac Fleetwood Imperial Town Sedan and the car has Coker Classic 750R16 radial tires installed. The recommended tire pressure is 41 PSI but the tires still have quite a bulge in the sidewall. Anybody have any experience with the maximum tire pressure I can use without compromising the safety of the tire. I talked to Coker and they suggested the forum to see if anyone has safely run higher tire pressures on the limousines.
Thanks.
1941 Cadillac Fleetwood Imperial Town Sedan
1937 Buick Roadmaster 4D Convertible Phaeton
1941 Studebaker Champion Coupe
1964 Buick Riviera
1970 Buick Riviera

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jim,

Someone with more knowledge than me should pop in soon, but radial tyres will always have a bulge, no matter what pressure you pump them up to.

As for what pressures?   Well, the rule of thumb was always about 4 Psi over what was recommended by the vehicle maker for the standard cross-ply tyres.

The only time I have varied from the above is when driving long distances at the speed limit of the road, and then I will pump up another 4 Psi.   But, with the '72 Eldorado that I own, I refuse to set the tyre pressures to what the factory says on the decal  (17 psi Rear and 24 psi Front.)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

d1jab01

Bruce,
Thanks for the reply. I'll see how they look and ride at 45 PSI.
Jim
1941 Cadillac Fleetwood Imperial Town Sedan
1937 Buick Roadmaster 4D Convertible Phaeton
1941 Studebaker Champion Coupe
1964 Buick Riviera
1970 Buick Riviera

Jon S

Who recommends pressure of 41 lbs?  Coker, the sticker on the car for bias ply tires?  I wouldn't put more than 35 lbs in radials.  JMHO
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Richardonly

Does sound on the high side.  Wish I could add more.

Over inflated may be worse than underinflated.
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Bill Ingler #7799

It has been my understanding that the tire pressure you see imprinted on the side of any tire is the max pressure that is recommended for that tire. So to run a tire with air pressure above what the manufacture says for that tire, places all the liability back on you if that tire fails. Other than good brakes on a car, I also want to run a good set of tires.   Bill

harry s

SKU:   62246 
Tread Width:   6.40 
Section Width:   8.00 
Overall Diameter:   31.14 
Max Load Capacity:   2150@41PSI 
Recommended Rim Width:   5.00 - 6.00 
Tube Type or Tubeless:   Tube Type 
Availability:
This is from the Coker site. As you see the 41# max psi is at 2150# of weight. The weight at each corner of your 75 Series would not be near that so a lesser pressure should be used. Several years ago I had the same dilemma with a pickup truck running E load range tires. I contacted Michelin and they  had chart with guidelines  for TP when not loaded to capacity. I would start at 35# and experiment from there but would not go much over that for all the reasons stated and also from a wear stand point. With over inflation you wear the center of the tread. Good Luck,     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

joeceretti

Those tires should bulge. How much are they bulging? Can you post a photo?