News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'37 lasalle hood hinge alignment

Started by B Readling CLC#25871, April 01, 2014, 06:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Readling CLC#25871

Looking for the best way to get the hinge rod in place between the hood top and the side panel. I'm beginning to believe it would be easier to just sell the side panels. Please help me to stop thinking this way.
Brady - CLC#25871

Steve Passmore

Sometimes this is easier when the hood is on the car but if not, lay the hood upside down on the floor using plenty of protection.    Place one side panel at a time on to it with all the relevant slots lining up, this is not usually possible with some cars due to distortion in the side panel over the years so make sure you get the first couple lined up to the front end. 
Next clean up your pin until its shinny, no rust left.
Now what I do is to gently grind one end of the pin so its no longer a squared off end but a nice rounded shape like a pencil without the sharp lead,  this gives the rod a 'leading edge'.

Greece up the pin well down its complete length and start it in the first hole.  With someone holding the hood and supporting the side panel to stop it moving gently tap the end of the rod with a hammer on a block of hardwood.  As the pin drives through you can align each hole as that rounded end of the pine finds them and pulls them into position until the pin is driven all the way through.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

B Readling CLC#25871

Thanks Steve I've got it together.
I'm expecting to pick up most of my chrome,the Coker tires and some rubber pieces today at the auto fair going on at the speedway inCharlotte,N.C. I'll try to get some pictures up soon. Thanks to you and others in the club,and others not in  the thing is beginning to look more like an automobile.
Brady - CLC#25871