News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'60 Dual master cyl.

Started by David Greenburg, April 02, 2014, 01:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

I'm being told that if healthy, my existing power brake booster can be used for a dual master cylinder conversion.  I had understood, in part from discussions here, that this conversion requires a newer (e.g., 62) booster.  Is the '60 m/c capable of supporting a dual system?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Coupe Deville

When I did the swap on my 59 to a dual, I learned that if your booster is a Bendix booster, midwest power brakes (www.midwestbooster.com) can supply you with a Dual resivor master cyl. for your original booster. They can also rebuild your booster if needed. When I did the swap my fathers 59, my original braking equipment turned out to be Delco Moraine products and I could not do the conversion with my original booster. Another member of the forums showed me a booster/master combo for only $120.00 from summit racing equipment. I installed it last summer and no complaints. Very little modification was needed to the fire wall and that was it. If you go in the search box on the forums and type in 59 brake conversion you should find may other people that have done the swap.
Hope this helps

-Gavin 
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

David Greenburg

Gavin:

Thanks; sounds like your info. is consistent with mine; I can keep the Bendix booster and add the master cyl.   I actually did the conversion that you did a number of years ago on my former '59 60S, and thought about doing it again.  But I think there are clearance issues with the firewall-mounted vacuum canister (my '59 did not have that), and other things being equal, I'd prefer the original look of the Bendix booster, even though I'm already violating the underhood originality by adding the dual m/c.   
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special