News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fuel Injection-Problems? 1978-1979.

Started by ADCADCDV, April 03, 2014, 10:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADCADCDV

I am interested in purchasing a 1978 or 1979 Coupe Deville. I have heard there are reliability problems with the fuel injection models, and it is better to have a carburetor model.  As this is first Cadillac in 40 years, any advice would be appreciated.  If there are problems with FI can they be fixed so the car can be driven on long (500 mile) drives?  OR is it better to buy a carburetor model.  Thank you!

TJ Hopland

The EFI option on the 75-79/80ish Cadillac's was never that common except on the 76-80 Seville where it was standard equipment.   So you take a option that was not that popular or well understood to begin with and fast forward 30+ years I doubt you are going to see that many still out there.   If you do find one that is otherwise the perfect car for you there are some options.  There is a guy that frequents this board who works on and does upgrades to the ECU's and for the most part parts are not that difficult to find to keep em going but if you want to go to a carb its also not too hard to find the parts that would be needed to do that sort of conversion if you think that is a better fit for you.

IF you eliminate the Seville and 79 Eldorado I think I can count on 1 hand the number of EFI Cads I have seen in person in the last 15-20 years and it would only take 2 hands (and maybe one foot) to count the number I have seen for sale on Ebay or other places so I would not worry.   Like I said if the car is perfect for you in every other way it can be dealt with if you do find one.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: ADCADCDV on April 03, 2014, 10:21:43 AM
I am interested in purchasing a 1978 or 1979 Coupe Deville. I have heard there are reliability problems with the fuel injection models, and it is better to have a carburetor model.  As this is first Cadillac in 40 years, any advice would be appreciated.  If there are problems with FI can they be fixed so the car can be driven on long (500 mile) drives?  OR is it better to buy a carburetor model.  Thank you!

I'd suggest sticking with the carbureted version - especially if the car is to be used for long trips.

Being that very few FI exist, you're unlikely to have to face the dilemma between the two.

Good luck in your search.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

waterzap

The FI models can always be turned into carb if all else fails..
Leesburg, AL