News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 cadillac 331 engine block question. "F" hole or "A" hole?

Started by mooman929, April 04, 2014, 01:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooman929

hello im rebuilding a 1953 331 Cadillac . on the back of the block by the distributor there is a threaded hole marked A or F.  im pretty certain the oil pressure sensor goes in one.  what do they mean? what hole do I use and what do I do with the hole I don't use?  thanks!

Quentin Hall

Yes the oil pressure switch does screw into the back of the block at about the curve of the breather pipe. The back of the block I am looking at is too dirty to determine an A or an F. The temp switch screws into the rear of the rh head.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

mooman929

the two holes are next to one another.  I think A is on top of block and F is off to the side?  is ur oil sensor straight up and down or angled towards the right side of the motor?

mooman929

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.

mooman929

Dan LeBlanc

Ive had 5 61/62 390s and the sender was always in the a hole.  The F hole was always plugged.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

mooman929

txturbo

My 56 365 had the sender in the angled hole and a plug in the top hole. I added an oil pressure gauge to the top hole.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

mooman929

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

mooman929

Anything labeled "A" hole or "F" hole can't be good..... lol

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks like the hole marked "F" in your block is already plugged.   This looks like a factory machining hole that is drilled as an oil passage to the internals, and then plugged with a welsh plug to seal it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

mooman929

The Tassie Devil(le)

I see it now.   One looks like it has been fully plugged in all the way with a screw bung, and the other only partially.

If you poke a piece of wire down one, can you see the wire passing the bottom of the other one?

If so, and it is for an Oil Pressure Sender Unit, then I would be putting the unit where it is easiest to get to, and is not in the way of other parts when assembled.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

mooman929

thanks.  yeah im gonna put the sending unit in one and maybe run a pressure gauge off the other like txturbo mentioned

Dan LeBlanc

I've always been curious as to why they had the two ports. The best explanation I can come up with would be to diagnose an oil pressure light without removing the sender.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

The Tassie Devil(le)

I believe the reason for the two ports was so that oil passages can be drilled to where they need to go during manufacture.

Lots of blocks from all manufacturers have blocked-off oil galleries.   Plus, it is not only Blocks that have drilled and then plugged up orifices.   Carbies have them as well.

Where it is impossible to get a drill in from one side, they go in from the other side.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Quentin Hall

Sorry missed  this post last few days. Bob, you cracked me up.  Just checked my 53 Block more carefully. A hole is blocked with a square headed plug. F hole is the one for the pressure switch. . . Q                             
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz