News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Paint color

Started by don berg, April 05, 2014, 04:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don berg

Can anyone tell me what shade of brown paint that goes on the steering column on a 1941 cadillac cov.  6267D , Thanks Don

joeceretti

I think it's Brown Iridescent Metallic, not 100% sure though. You should get the authenticity manual. It answers so many questions. I don't regret for even 1 second buying the manual for my car.

don berg

Thanks Joe  I do have the book but not sure where to get that brown. That is way I was hoping to find the shade of brown such as a dark or light brown.  Thanks again Don

joeceretti

Actually with further research it looks like the colour is Gold Bronze Dulux HT-132X-6232. I haven't found any formula for that paint though. The brown metallic was for 1940. I'm sure in short order the 1941 experts will chime in. If you wanted info on the 1938 models I could help you much faster.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/silamanajik/34-41%20Cadillac%20LaSalle%20paint%20chips%20color%20combos/1941colorcombos.jpg

gary griffin

I was given a reference with my 1942 restoration as follows

DDL24337 D Dark Brown, 

DMA311  White                                       16.0 parts
DMA329  Oxide Ye                                   26.0
DMA358  Strong B                                 162.0
DMA356   Organic                                  296.0

I was told that PP6 (Or PPG?)  #920199 was the current code. I hope someone can verify this or provide a more accurate formula.  This one is very dark and the pictures I see of interior metals seem to be a lot lighter.  Somewhere I have a spray can of it and would send a sample if desired.

garygriffin@Q.com
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

don berg

Yes Gary The book list a dark brown but some of the pic I have seen the brown looks lighter. That way I am not sure how dark it should be.  Don

joeceretti

The word bronze in the paint name makes me think it should have a bronzey colour to it, if that's a word.  ;D

don berg

Thanks Joe Your help gives me a good start.  Don

Paul Phillips

The info I have received, both from the forum and talking to a couple restorers, is there are two browns used in the interior for 1941.  Here is what I gathered, and what I am doing in my 41 resto:  The 'Gold Bronze Dulux' is used on the steering column, hand brake handle, and cowl vent handle.  There is a very close match in a DuPont stock color in the "YM" series.  I have the # at the shop and can confirm it tomorrow.  The other one is darker and more 'brown', used on the heater, back of glove box & hinges, back of dash, misc. brackets.  This one may be close to Managua Beige, according to some.  I have a formula for Managua Beige Metallic that the PPG rep was able to get from his database.  PPG also developed a formula for Oceano Blue Metallic that we are using on my car.

Hope this helps!
Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

D.Yaros

The two shades would conform to what I found out with respect to my '55 CDV.  It has two shades of gray; referred to as light and dark.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Paul Phillips

Current DuPont paint for 'Gold Bronze Dulux' is YM327K.  This is a stock or reference color for them and can be found in the Spectramaster color charts.  I had it made in ChromaBase, then followed with clear coat.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

don berg

Thanks Paul I will look up the paint numbers.  Thanks again  Don

Kirksallas@me.com

Paul, Can you please share where you had the paint, Gold Bronze Dulux made? I need this as well for a portion of my steering column, but not sure how to go about ordering the paint.
Thanks in advance, Kirk

Tom Boehm

Kirk this thread is 8 years old. Send him a PM to get a response. Take the info in the April 9 2014 post by Paul Phillips to a Dupont auto paint store and see if that makes sense to them.