News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Questions on 1947

Started by Gary Bakeslee, April 06, 2014, 07:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Bakeslee

Hi everyone, well I need more help.  1.  The locking mechanism for the trunk is it a natural steel color or is it painted the same as the car?   2. The bolts and washers used for the assembly of the car were they painted?   3. I am looking for new Philips flat head bolts for the door hinges does anyone know where to purchase them?  They have larger size heads then the ones you can buy today. 
   Thanks for the help.      Gary                                                                         
Gary Blakeslee

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Gary: Looking through the Authenticity Manual for the 47, it does not cover the subject of painted or natural color for the locking mechanism on the inside of the trunk lid. The answer from me to you is what I have observed over the years from other 47 Cad trunks and that is the locking mechanism on the inside of the trunk lid is painted to match the car color while the two latch plates on the body are cadmium. This is only my observation and others might disagree.  Trunks and glove compartments are not to be judged in CCCA meets and I believe it is the same for Cad/LaSalle. Looking in the Cadillac MASTER PARTS LIST book Group 25, it shows that most bolts, nuts, washers and screws used in the 47 were either cadmium or zinc with a few just plain. The list of all the fasteners in Group 25 is too large to post here but if you are interested please email me at   inglerfly@cox.net  and I will send you a PDF FILE of all the fasteners which are listed in Group 25. As for the larger head Phillips flat head screws you might Google up ( Restorations Supply Co) in CA for their web site and look at their PDF on line catalog. They carry a good many of the older fasteners for our type cars.  Bill