News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Distributor seal 1938 346

Started by joeceretti, April 08, 2014, 01:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeceretti

I am certain that there is oil pressure at my distributor! That's the good news. The bad news, I have an oil leak out the top of my distributor extension. I checked the MPB but it doesn't give me much info, at least that I can find. Does anyone know any details on the seal I have to replace. Is it just an o-ring?

Bill Ingler #7799

Joe: If you are talking about an oil leak at the bottom of the distributor tower then look at top left of the picture showing you the tower, shaft, gasket and gears. Notice item C is a gasket and the only one gasket I see for the distributor tower. A common place to leak oil is where the tower joins the crank case especially if there is no gasket in place.  Bill

Jeff Hansen

Joe, if oil is leaking out of the top of the tower, check for a clogged oil hole at the base of the tower.  That's bitten me before.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

joeceretti

It's leaking out the top of the tower just below where the distributor mounts. Maybe this is why I am getting no oil pressure at the outlet for the oil pressure gauge?

Tom Beaver

Joe, if oil is leaking out the top of the distributor tower then the most probable cause is the drain hole in the tower base is plugged up, as Jeff suggested.  The other option is that the upper bushing in the tower base is so worn that oil is leaking past it faster than it can drain out.

The outlet for the oil pressure gauge uses a different oil passage than the distributor tower.  The reason why you are not getting any oil pressure at this outlet is because either you have the wrong set screw in that hole or the passage in it is plugged up.

Tom Beaver