News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 series 63 fuel pump install question

Started by 46Chris, April 12, 2014, 09:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

46Chris

Which bolt gets the 1/4" washer, the one closest to the radiator, or closest to the engine?  When removing the fuel pump to send away for rebuilding by Arthur Gould, I didn't immediately notice the thick washer on only one bolt. 

Any other fuel pump installation tips from the members would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris Rewey
Chris Rewey
1941 Series 61 (sold)

Steve Passmore

I have never heard anything about one bolt getting a different washer??  Could it be thats just something a previous owner has done?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Very possibly, he had bolts of two different lengths. Simply put it on, keeping in mind that it will want to go on at an angle with the camshaft "shoe" wanting to go on crooked. Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bob Schuman

Get two bolts like the ones you removed, but about one inch longer. Use those to install the pump, tightening each one a little at a time, so that the pump goes in straight with its operating arm perpendicular to the camshft. Once you get the pump against the engine block surface, remove one bolt and replace with the shorter bolt. Then do the same with the other bolt. This makes it much easier to avoid bending the pump arm, because you will not be "cocking" the pump to one side while installing.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Paul Phillips

Chris
I am not remembering any difference intended for bolts and/or washers for fuel pump mounting. I will check the parts book tomorrow and confirm thus is correct. I suspect this is as suggested, a random change courtesy of a previous owner or mechanic.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

joeceretti

This kind of thing happens all the time. Mine has the two original bolts, or so it appears, and also had a lock washer on each bolt. I kept the existing bolts but swapped in new washers as I have discovered that most, if not all, of the original washers have lost their spring and have become brittle. Some I could break just by bending them with my fingers.

46Chris

Yesterday was my one free day to work on cars, so I first made sure both of the bolts were the same length (they were), then before installing the pump I ran a bolt into both holes without the thick washer just to make sure one didn't bottom out.  They both went in all the way, so I arbitrarily put the washer on the left side, since I hate to have parts left over.

Thanks for the replies.  I was careful to bolt up the pump without cocking it

Best, Chris Rewey
Chris Rewey
1941 Series 61 (sold)