News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac Transmission... HELP!

Started by CaddyGirl, April 15, 2014, 03:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaddyGirl

So I was driving my 60 limo today and it was doing perfect then all of the sudden it stopped shifting couldn't get it out of first gear.. So I parked it and had it towed home... I changed the fluid in the transmission a few weeks prior I drained the old fluid and sealed the tranny pan with a new gasket then obviously added new fluid. What does this mean? Thanks for the opinions in advance!! PS I've changed fluid this very same way in MANY other 60's that I've owned and I've NEVER had this happen!

Caddy Girl

S. Erickson 
The CaddyGirl

Julien Abrahams

Check the obvious things first: is there plenty of fluid in the transmission? Is the fluid burnt? I am not sure whether this transmission uses vacuum and/or a governor to modulate the shift points. Check if your gear lever matches up with the setting of the manual valve connection at the transmission (I presume that you haven't disconnected this). Could be the governor that has failed some how. I don't know your knowledge about auto transmissions so forgive me if I make an obvious comment, but the governor governs drive axle speed related pressure in the transmission which via lines and other valves, makes the transmission shift into second and third gear when the drive axle speed (and thus the car speed) increases.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Roger Zimmermann

I had once that Problem on my '56 de Ville, which had almost the same transmission. The trouble came from the governor.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

C.R. Patton II

Hello Caddy Girl

I concur the culprit is the governor.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Walter Youshock

I had the same thing happen with my '57.  It wasn't the governor--it was the front sprag.  IF it's the gov, you're lucky.  Otherwise, you're looking at a rebuild.

Scenario was I got to a stop sign, hit the gas and the car wouldn't move.  Downshifted to 1st and was able to nurse the car home.  Went to the oldest trans shop in the area and the first thing he said was:  "the front sprag is shot.  It's gotta come out." 

Maybe you'll have better luck than I did!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

curly

I had a similar problem as well with my 59, the front fluid coupling (internal) broke a snap ring and the coupling came apart.  Mine was making a tapping sound similar to a lifter noise, it was the snap ring touching the rotating trans parts.

I'd check the governor first, it is inside the extension housing in the rear of the trans and can be accessed without removing the trans.  A lift will make the job much easier.
T Lewis

Dan LeBlanc

Try this.  It's worked for others

In reverse, get to 15-20mph and then shift into low.  She's going to chirp and make noise and liklely stall the car, however, if something is stuck, it will free it up. 

Not saying it's a permanent fix, but others have done this and driven their cars successfully for years afterwards.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Roger Zimmermann

My suggestion was one among many, as described by other participants. You dont tell how many million miles have been accumulated, if the transmission has been rebuilt some time ago, etc...
I have rebuilt about 20 Hydramatic from this generation with all kind of damages...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

CaddyGirl

Thanks for all your opinions and knowledge!! I know the fluid is full and not burnt! I just serviced the tranny about a month ago and put all new fluid in it ( Dex/Merc) and also a new tranny pan gasket. I've serviced many many of these 60 cad transmissions on other cars I've had and have never had any issues.. And this trans has never been taken out or rebuilt this limo has 67,560 ORIGINAL miles! I have receipts from the past owner and there's no trans work and the car is still a baby with really low miles so I don't see how it can need a rebuild....

S. Erickson
The CaddyGirl

Jon S

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on April 15, 2014, 10:53:37 AM
Try this.  It's worked for others

In reverse, get to 15-20mph and then shift into low.  She's going to chirp and make noise and liklely stall the car, however, if something is stuck, it will free it up. 

Not saying it's a permanent fix, but others have done this and driven their cars successfully for years afterwards.

Dan - I would think this would snap the motor mounts or do some other significant damage???  Can't be good for the driveline, universals, etc.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Jon S on April 15, 2014, 03:08:08 PM
Dan - I would think this would snap the motor mounts or do some other significant damage???  Can't be good for the driveline, universals, etc.

Not saying it's fantastic for it, nor is it a permanent fix.  Just relaying what others have done.

YMMV
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

bcroe

Happened to me once, I wound the car up until FINALLY it shifted.  Must have
been a sticky governor, never did it again.  Bruce Roe

dplotkin

Quote from: Caddy Girl Garage on April 15, 2014, 03:03:07 PM
the car is still a baby with really low miles so I don't see how it can need a rebuild....S. Erickson

Here's how, a 54 year old Hydramatic, regardless of its mileage is nevertheless 54 years old. The so-called spaghetti seals (big O rings and front coupling cover seals) get very hard at this age and don't seal. Eventually they hemorrhage internally to the extent that insufficient hydraulic pressure exists to apply clutches and bands. Unfortunately it involves coming out and going through. I did this for the same reason with my original 56.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Glen

The 1961 Cadillac Shop manual says the only thing that will cause the tranny to run only in first gear is a problem with the governor. 

Governor valve restricted
Governor weight missing
Governor No. 4 ring broken
G1 passage from governor to shift valve obstructed but this only happens after certain major internal work.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Caddy Girl Garage on April 15, 2014, 03:03:07 PM
And this trans has never been taken out or rebuilt this limo has 67,560 ORIGINAL miles!
As somebody else wrote, the rubber seals are now hard like glass; they cannot do the job they are intended to do. I'm afraid, this is the time for an overhaul!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dplotkin

Quote from: Glen on April 16, 2014, 02:57:46 AM
The 1961 Cadillac Shop manual says the only thing that will cause the tranny to run only in first gear is a problem with the governor.

Yes, but the shop manual assumes one is working on a 1 to 15 year old car, not a 54 year old car. The manual's authors never had to consider rubber seals turning to glass. I believe in first gear the front coupling is empty, fills to create second. and if it isn't holding fluid, it will not shift out of first.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Jon S

All of our cars are different, but when I decided to have my all original 1958 transmission re-sealed 8 yearsago, the mechanic went out of his way to inform me the internal seals were as soft and pliable as new and was extremely impressed.  I hope the replacement seals last as long!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

txturbo

If the rubber parts are that hard it wouldn't even have first gear. You can out some TransX in it to soften up the rubber parts. Most likely it's a stuck governor.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

76eldo

Lucas transmission treatment is also very good.

I'd try a pour in remedy before yanking the Trans out.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

CaddyGirl

Can you take the governor out without removing the tranny??? And where is the the governor ?
The CaddyGirl