News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Harbor freight brake bleeder tool

Started by Julien Abrahams, April 16, 2014, 06:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

Hey guys,
because I will be working on my brakes, I was wondering if you guys have experience with the Harbor Freight brake bleeder tool. I am interested in this tool morevoer because it can serve as a vacuum test unit as well (for exaxmple to manually supply vacuum to the individual ports of the Climate control system on my '67). Anybody has one of these and what is your experience?
Where can I order this to be shipped to Europe? On the Harbor Freight website you can only order within the US.
Thanks.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Dave Shepherd

I have that set up in my shop works well, but is cheaply made, clean it up after each use. A brake fluid tester is also useful on older cars. the pen sized battery powered unit for 25.00 is a great way to analyze brake fluid condition in any car.

dadscad

Years ago, I bought a Mighty-Vac which is the same in function to the Harbor Freight unit. I never could get the vacuum brake bleeding to work for me. I always ended up with air in the cylinders, having to resort to the old fashioned pump the pedal routine to get the job done. It does do well for testing the vacuum on the A/C and Heat system.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Chris Bryant #19358

Hi folks,

I too  bought a Mighty-Vac many years ago and had the same problem as "DadsCad". Caveat Emptor!

Chris Bryant #19358

austingta

Quote from: J. Abrahams on April 16, 2014, 06:00:49 AM
Hey guys,
because I will be working on my brakes, I was wondering if you guys have experience with the Harbor Freight brake bleeder tool. I am interested in this tool morevoer because it can serve as a vacuum test unit as well (for exaxmple to manually supply vacuum to the individual ports of the Climate control system on my '67). Anybody has one of these and what is your experience?
Where can I order this to be shipped to Europe? On the Harbor Freight website you can only order within the US.
Thanks.

There is a harbor freight in my area. I'll ship it to you if you want.

Dave Shepherd

FYI for all, if you crack open the bleeder screw too far the vac pump pull air in past it and you will have trouble bleeding the system.

Julien Abrahams

So, in general, the old fashioned way of having a helper (friend, neighbor, relative, person walking his/her dog ;)), will work fine, just as long as the person in the car does not push the brake pedal to the floor and with too much force.
I was just looking into it, because it would be handy to have a tool you can use so the brake bleeding becomes a one-person-job. But I feel that the general opinion here is that the old fashioned way, although it takes more time, is more effective.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

TJ Hopland

Is this the one that kinda looks like a paint sprayer?  If so I bought one of those a a while ago and have used it a couple times.  One time was on a trailer which is very difficult to bleed and it really didn't help.   I also used it on a truck and it worked well.   Before that I had a mighty vac hand pump.   What used that for was to get things started and try and flush systems but then I always finish with the 2 person method just to be sure. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

I’m thinking a pressure bleeder would be the best way to bleed the brakes.  The vacuum does not seem to work that well.  I have never used a pressure bleeder but if anyone has any opinions on them I would like to hear them. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

I bought one when I had a stubborn system that I just could not bleed any other way.   Pressure bleeder didn't help either.  Finally invited everyone I knew over for a crack at it and one guy started opening every fitting there was using the 2 man method and we discovered it was the distribution block that had an air pocket in it. 

I don't remember the brand I had, something like auto motive.  I think I ordered it from Summit or Jegs.   It looks like a smallish bug sprayer with a gauge on it and a manual pump handle on the top.   I got the deluxe kit that came with several MC top kits that was supposed to fit like 75% of the cars ever sold in the USA.   Like I said it didn't solve the problem car.   I think I tried it on one other car and I found it to be extra messy to use.   I seemed like it took a lot longer and made a bigger mess than doing it the old way.  Its been sitting in the box collecting dust ever since.   I think I was going to sell it to someone but I lost an important part they won't sell separate.  It also takes a lot of extra fluid to fill the tank and all the lines and it leaves the MC over filled.

One system I am curious about that I have seen a couple times on the TV shows bleeds in reverse.  It pumps the fluid in at the wheels.  Their claim is since the air wants to go up anyway that it works better since you are pushing the air the direction it wants to go.   One time I saw it I went to their website and remember thinking maybe I would get one but at the time I didn't have any money or a big brake job planned.  I don't remember the brand of that set either.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

dadscad

What I've been using for the last 20 years or so for a one man bleed tool, is a 60 CC syringe with a long soft tube attached, that will stay on the bleed port and the syringe when pumping the brake pedal. Before I flush a brake system I always suck out the fluid in the master cylinder with the syringe and refill with fresh fluid. Then I attach the tube to the bleed port with the syringe plunger all the way in, then open the bleed port, get in the car and slowly pump the pedal 6 or 7 times. The number of pumps depends on the size of the master cylinder, you don't want to blow the syringe plunger out and make a mess. The resistance of the syringe plunger to move keeps a slight back pressure on the wheel cylinder when the brake pedal is released, that keeps air from being sucked back in. After pumping the syringe full, I close the port and squirt the fluid into a container. If the fluid looked good I go the next wheel, If it looked dark I repeat the procedure until the fluid looks new. Of course, you have to keep the master cylinder full.

This is how I do a yearly flush of the brake system on all my cars, truck and motorcycle. I always have a nice firm pedal when done.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Michael J. Cascio

I like the one man brake bleeder that has a small sealed cup with a hose port on top, you then hook up a vacuum hose to it and run it to the bleeder port.  Lossen the bleeder and pump 3-5 times down to floor slowly.  Of course this only works when there is a little air in the lines.  A complete air lock will result in a 2 man job. 
-Mike

Jeff Maltby 4194

When I replaced the "complete" brake system on the 49 using Dot 5 silicone for the first time, I started with a Mity Vac and finished it with this...came out perfect :<)

These work great-zip tie hose to the nipple-stick in jar of water and go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Bleeder-Hose-One-Man-Operation-Length-15-3-4-In-/331178534039
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

DennisK

Quote from: Jeff Maltby 4194 on April 18, 2014, 10:40:12 PM

When I replaced the "complete" brake system on the 49 using Dot 5 silicone for the first time, I started with a Mity Vac and finished it with this...came out perfect :<)

These work great-zip tie hose to the nipple-stick in jar of water and go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Bleeder-Hose-One-Man-Operation-Length-15-3-4-In-/331178534039

Yes I concour...have used Mityvac sucessfully on a number of cars with the brake systems and in a pinch to drain the oil out of the Oil Filter housing :)
When all is said and done, more is said then done.

TJ Hopland

Here I think is the one we were talking about.  It does require that you have an air compressor.  This exact tool I have not seen from other suppliers.
http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html

And then when we are referring to 'mightyvac' I think this is the type of tool we are speaking of.   These are very handy to have around the garage.   Most parts stores and places like Sears would have a version of this tool.  It can also be used for testing vacuum and vacuum operated do dads like timing advance and climate control stuff.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-60770.html
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

waterzap

Quote from: dadscad on April 18, 2014, 09:22:25 AM
What I've been using for the last 20 years or so for a one man bleed tool, is a 60 CC syringe with a long soft tube attached, that will stay on the bleed port and the syringe when pumping the brake pedal. Before I flush a brake system I always suck out the fluid in the master cylinder with the syringe and refill with fresh fluid. Then I attach the tube to the bleed port with the syringe plunger all the way in, then open the bleed port, get in the car and slowly pump the pedal 6 or 7 times. The number of pumps depends on the size of the master cylinder, you don't want to blow the syringe plunger out and make a mess. The resistance of the syringe plunger to move keeps a slight back pressure on the wheel cylinder when the brake pedal is released, that keeps air from being sucked back in. After pumping the syringe full, I close the port and squirt the fluid into a container. If the fluid looked good I go the next wheel, If it looked dark I repeat the procedure until the fluid looks new. Of course, you have to keep the master cylinder full.

This is how I do a yearly flush of the brake system on all my cars, truck and motorcycle. I always have a nice firm pedal when done.

going to give this a try...
Leesburg, AL