News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

old Dunlop gold star 78 sports crossplys off my '59

Started by MY 59, April 17, 2014, 04:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MY 59

so I replaced the cross ply tyres that came with my Cadillac with some steel belt radial Cokers, man what a difference the car is an absolute pleasure to drive and holds the road like a much more modern vehicle :)

Now the question is what to do with the cross ply white walls? I cannot see a way to identify how old they are, they have plenty (almost new) of tread and are not flakey or cracked etc.
are they worth anything? is there some way to date them? or are they just destined to be wall hangers in my garage

any help or advice appreciated, I figure this is the best place to ask this question

Thanks all

Dave

David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Dan LeBlanc

If you have children and a tree outside, a tire swing may not be a bad idea. 

Of course children don't tend to play outside anymore, so scratch that idea.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

MY 59

haha! pretty much what I thought.

I maaaayyy have found a production code indicating 1988, shame as the tread is deep and like new

Oh well, I have a spare set of 1959 caddy hubcaps also, I will clean them and the whitewalls up, hang them on the wall and add coolness to my garage :)

here is my Caddy, still with its Washington license plates (since been licensed in Western Australia - FIN 59 ), and my 67 Aussie ZA Fairlane, I have had her since I was 18 :)

Dan LeBlanc

What a lovely pair of cars. The song Ebony and Ivory is now stuck in my head for some reason.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Ken Perry

Nice pic of your cars,love a white 59 Cad! Around here I use the old tires for cars that are not being driven,so they look cool but they are not wasting good tires just sitting around. Ken Perry 
Cadillac Ken

olds34dude

from my experience the old bias tires don't "go bad", separate  etc. as radials do, old trailer tires seem to last , I doubt that you will find a date on your tires they sound too old; a friend of mine recently bought an OLD pair of Coker bias tires  for his pickup off of CL for next to nothing and they ride great he says, a couple of months ago I spotted the nose of a '66 Toronado in a driveway and as I saw someone there I introduced myself,  the fellow had a few nice cars but the Toro sported a set of wide whites that he said were at least 20 years old and he had within the past year or so gone from Tampa to Michigan or Wisconsin and back without a problem ( or a spare for that matter) you could really make some rat rodders or period custom guys day by  listing those old whites on craigs list, and giving them a new life!
I sure wouldn't want to go back to driving on those things as I was around when radials came along, and there is sure no comparison, but they'll make the day for someone. Dave V

D. Varney

MY 59

yeah good point, will chuck them in the local rag :)

Quentin Hall

Send me a pic and price Dave. I need a set of cheap tires on my 39 whilst I play with it. How wide is the whitewall? I'm presently working at Warrens shed in Carlyle. Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

MY 59

the whitewall is big, 75mm
will give you a buzz in the morning, just worry that shipping will be killer unless you know someone ?

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

MY 59

ahh perfect then! I thought because you spelt carlisle differently that it was in another state!! silly me.
will call you to arrange :)

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Glen

"Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word obviously lacks imagination."

Credited to Mark Twain but is not verified.         ;D
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2