News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Power Steering pump replacement

Started by chrisntam, April 18, 2014, 11:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

I'm replacing the power steering pump and hoses on my '70 Deville.  This pump has a pulley that's held on with a nut.  Got the pulley separated from the old pump, having difficulty getting the old pulley on the new pump.  The FSM says to push the pulley on as far as you can by hand then use the nut to "press" the pulley on the rest of the way.  I can't get the pulley on far enough to even get close to having the nut engage the pump's threaded shaft.  As a side note, (while removing the old pulley from the old pump) the old pulley finally let go of the old pump at about the same place where the old pulley is stopping on the new pump.

Anyone replaced theirs?  What is the trick?  Am I missing something?  Any help would be appreciated!
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Be very careful of that pulley, it can be easily damaged, then you are into finding another and losing some days.

I have a 1970 Cadillac and the pulley went on no problem.  Are sure the pump is a correct replacement?  I have had my share of wrong parts.  If the shaft goes all the way through (don't remember) then by pressing pulley on the bearings would not be damaged.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty