News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 Cadillac Brake Hose, Can't find it

Started by Coupe Deville, April 19, 2014, 12:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. I have bought 3 new brake hoses for my 57 (6239) sedan. One for the rear, and front left and right. The drivers side front fits fine, the rear is a little short but I think I can make it work, the problem is the passenger side front. It's too short. Ordered the hose from the auto parts store and the other on the Internet. Both still too short. The one I pulled of of the car that was the correct one is 15 inches end to end. Does this tell me the brake hose mount in the front is in the wrong place? It comes about a inch shy of where the hose meets the steel line. Any thought? We're can I get the correct hose?

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I looked up brake hoses in my 1973 Master parts book. All 1957 Cadillacs use the same LH front brake hose. The RH hose changed at Chassis #071360. Before that #, the LH and RH hoses are different. After that # LH and RH are the same.

If this helps you, 1957 through 1964 rear hoses are all the same, except for Commercial Chassis. That rear hose, #762210 is the same as the earlier RH front hose.

So, check your VIN. You should be able to figure this out. If your front hoses are the same and the RH hose doesn't fit, you need the earlier hose, which is the same as the rear. If your fronts are different and the RH hose doesn't fit, you need the later hose, which is the same as the LH.

All of this assumes that your car has not been screwed with or Mickey Moused in that area. Keep us posted.

Walter Youshock

I got mine from Kanter.  All fit fine.

One thing I will suggest to you:  CAREFULLY inspect the steel brake line to the front passenger wheel.  Battery acid from the old batteries could drip on the line and damage it.  I know this one from experience.  I had to replace the line on mine.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Try:

Brake Parts Supplier
Midwest Power Products
815+942-0550

They have lots of new parts, got stuff for my 37 and 53 from them.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Classic

If all else fails, Brake Materials and Parts inc. 800 Sherman Blvd. Fort Wayne, IN 46808 260-426-3331 custom makes brake hoses.  They pressure test each hose they make to 3000psi.  http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Commodore

I see his problem. The aftermarket hose from Raybestos is a 14 inch hose.

Coupe Deville

Checked my vin. It is before #071360. so I need the other hose.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"