News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 seatbelt fitting - images/scans required :)

Started by MY 59, April 21, 2014, 04:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MY 59

hello again,

My wife is insisting I put seatbelts in my 1959 sedan deville.
I have seen mention in these forums that this is covered in one of the old service manuals.
Could anyone perhaps do me a favour and scan this material for me to see? or perhaps some reference shots of a car with belts installed would be just as good.
I have found the dimples in the floor pan of where to drill, however I saw Bruce, The Tassie Deville mention that the seat itself need to be cut etc??
this is the suff I am unsure of, as to buy and install seat belts is easy, but there sounds more to this story :)

thanks all :)

Dave
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

The Tassie Devil(le)

Whenever you feel like it, give me a call.

Are you on Skype?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Wilk

My car does not have the dimples. Are there measurements to go by?  I have never heard that the seats had to be modifies in any way though.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

MY 59

Hi Bruce,
PM me your #, and thanks for the response (hope you are well mate!!)

Skype is a no, I am the most tech-unsavvy mortal to walk this earth!!

Hey Jeff, will keep you posted as to how it turns out, and only more than happy to provide measurements and images etc :)

that is what a forum like this is all about, sharing of information and experience
many times I have been stuck and have found the answer here, now I feel I could almost assemble a 1959 Caddy from scratch!!

quadfins

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on April 21, 2014, 06:11:08 AM
I have never heard that the seats had to be modifies in any way though.

On a sedan bench seat, the upholstery panel on the back of the front seat would need an incision, in order to fit the inside section of the belt through, so it can be buckled. The outside sections can go around the outer edge of the seat.

Since coupe seats fold forward, the inner section of a belt can be run under the backrest, without cutting.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

MY 59

thanks Jim, that is what I would like to see, first to make sure I am prepared to do it, and second to make sure I do it right!

The Tassie Devil(le)

The trouble with running the inner belt over the arm rest is that the webbing is too high up the side of the torso to be supportive in the event of a prang.

The problem with these seats is that there is a seriously high lip at the back of the seat base.

The first picture is a 1960 CDV, and the second one is a 1969 SDV   Notice the upward tilting "Lip" at the back of the seat.

On both the Coupe and Sedan with the bench seat, this lip goes across the full distance

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Glen

I think the big issue is reinforcing the floor so the bolt does not rip out in an accident.
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

MY 59

thanks Bruce, I knew there was something to do with the bench seats, I will go and have a look at mine now :)

will keep yas posted

The Tassie Devil(le)

I should have explained the bottom picture better.

The tube sewn into the upholstery is a sleeve that I designed to protrude down through past the metal work of the seat base, to protect the belt webbing from being compromised by abrasion through wearing, and as the seat is moved backwards and forwards.

Not sure what the factory used as when I got the car to work on, the seat had been re-upholstered without the seat belts, and down here, they had to be there from 1969 onwards.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Warren Rauch #4286

There is a diagram (no dimensions) for the 1960 anchor locations in the Serviceman Nov1959.It states that the dimples started with 1960 serial # 002000. It also states that a revised information sheet will be in new installation kits. I'd snail mail it,but I'm sure someone can scan it to you today.
      Most seatbelt kits come with a 2 inch diameter washer to reinforce the floor,be sure to use it. My Dad put a set in a 1955 Chevy. Even with the washers ,a cousin pulled them thru the rusty floors of that car. Warren

59-in-pieces

Dave,
Here is the copy from my Serviceman - Nov 1959.
Hope it helps.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

The Tassie Devil(le)

Fancy the auto manufacturers thinking about safety back then.

Pity it took them so long to fit them, as it could have saved so many people from needless injuries and death.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

MY 59

great to see the scan! thanks for that, I could not find it anywhere else :)
I do not like the idea of cutting my chair though :( not sure what to do...

Coupe Deville

I will look at my fathers 59. We did not cut thought the seats on the front bench. I will send some pictures.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Hayden P

I am restoring my 1960 Coupe deVille. I want to put retractable belts in front and back (and just lap belts in front and rear middle positions maybe). Seatbelt Solutions in Perth, Western Australia can supply chrome GM style fittings in webbing of my colour choice. What I would love to see is how people have mounted retractables in coupes (front and rear). Thanks so much guys.

MY 59

hmmm, retractables in front will be interesting, being these cars are pillar less. would have to mount them really low like th retro fit early mustangs?
rears could probably be done with a bit of work, very interested to see the ideas around the fronts