News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

37LASALLE starter solenoid

Started by frank37, April 21, 2014, 03:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank37

the original 5 terminal voltage regulator has a ground wire that goes from the regulator to the starter.  I would like to use a modern solenoid on the starter---one with only one terminal. I assume the ground wire from the voltage regulator would be the wire  not used. IF so can that ground wire just be taped up without any harm to the voltage reg.? Or should that wire be connected somewhere else?
    I am doing this instead of replacing the old solenoid which are hard to find and to get more reliability from a modern solenoid.  The original solenoid seems to have bad coil windings causing occasional chatter when attempting to start the car(new battery and all grounds checked)
Anybody familiar with this wiring and possibly tackled this type of problem??   Thanks. Frank pezzimenti

Commodore

Before you start replacing parts, you should do some troubleshooting. In my experience a chattering relay is cause by a fault in the electrical system, not the relay. The reason the relay will  chatter is as follows. The relay will pull in when energized connecting the load to the electrical system. The electrical system whether due to a weak battery or voltage losses in the system cannot supply enough power to the load causing the voltage to the relay to drop below the hold in voltage of the relay. The relay opens removing the load from the electrical system. The voltage to the relay then rises above the pull in voltage of the relay. The relay then closes connecting the load to the electrical system and cycle starts over again. To troubleshoot  the problem start by connecting your Digital Multi-Meter (DMM) lead to the battery terminal on the starter and the other lead to ground and crank the engine observing the voltage. Next connect one lead of the DMM to the battery terminal on the starter and the other lead to the battery terminal and crank the engine observing the voltage. After this report back with the voltages.

harvey b

I think that the wire you are lookoing at is so the starter will not engage when the engine is running,the original 5 wire regulators are obsolete,you simply cannot find them anymore,there is a replacement that will work,or you can adapt one of the 3 wire ones,i don't know how to wire them,but if this is what you are doing someone on here will be able to help you,i have the part numbers for the 5 wire replacement if you need it. harvey
Harvey Bowness

frank37

Thanks for the suggestions. The car is still stored for the winter so let me get back to you on the voltage readings. FrankP