News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Spray paint for interior color match

Started by Jeff Moffo, April 23, 2014, 10:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moffo

Good Morning everyone,
I would like to purchase two front seat belt retainers for my 76 Cadillac - the plastic retainers that sit on top of the head rest.
They are available in some colors...while most websites, like the parts catalogs, say, "Paint to Match". >:D

My interior color for the leather is 322 - "Antique Dark Blue-Green.

Any place(s) to purchase a paint to match!?

Thanks!
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

joecaristo

Hi,
Go to an auto paint dealer who mixes paint and sells painting supplies. Bring a color sample with you. I bring a plastic interior piece with me. Tell them to match the color. They will custom mix a quart of paint for you. Use adhesion promoter before you paint the plastic item. I pour the paint in a preval sprayer. Works great.
Joe
Joe Caristo

Jeff Moffo

Perfect. Thanks. I didn't know about that preval sprayer. Looks handy to have around the garage!
Regards. Jeff.
Jeff M
North Jersey

62 driver

I use SEM from http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop.     They matched my newly recovered arm rest. They will also put it spray cans for you. I purchased the quart. You must follow directions.

The sun had turned the light tan vinyl door panels to gray.  Use SME vinyl paint.  First photos shows the faded color. The armrest was recovered in factory color purchased from SMS.  SME paint was matched to the armrest.

Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Jeff Moffo

Your work looks great.  8)

On my 76, I have two small tears ABOVE the armrests in the vinyl just above the door pull.  Pretty typical of these cars.  Mine spent some time in the sun in FL, so I believe the sun dried out the vinyl, hence the small split.

Would you have any recommendations to make a repair without having to re-do the entire upper door panel? 
I did check that website, and I found it to be a tremendous help.  Thanks.  I should be able to purchase the color I need to match my interior now.
Regards,
jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey

62 driver

Jeff,  I only know about and have seen 61-62 Cadillac.  I think that SMS could send you the vinyl and will stamp it (if needed) as yours is now. They did this for some vinyl that my sons 61 need in the back seat. Then you or have someone install it. Then paint the rest to match.  The other way is to find someone that fixes tears in the vinyl. They can patch it and you paint to match.  There's lot of people that fix vinyl seat for restaurant and hotels. That's if the vinyl is torn and not sun damage. Dried sun damage vinyl need replacement. Dave

www.smsautofabrics.com/contact.php
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Jeff Moffo

Hi Dave,  I believe the two small tears I have are from the sun. Vinyl seems brittle there. Unfortunately the rest is in good shape. I'm picking my battles now and am working on suspension then correct tires. The vinyl may have to wait until next winter!  Thanks for your input. I've learned a lot through your help.
Regards
Jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey

gary griffin

I am not sure of the spelling but find a Fabrion franchised repair person (My daughter in law is one here in Washington) and they can repair about anything in the car interior so that it looks new. She mostly works for dealers including Cadillac, Jaguar, and rental companies like Hertz. She can repair leather or vinyl so that you will not be able it find it later.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jeff Moffo

Gary,
Thank you.  I was able to locate Fabrion in NJ.  They have a member in the county south of me, so hopefully, they will be able to help.  I will contact them when I get a chance!
Appreciate your feedback.
Regards and have a good day.
Jeff M
Jeff M
North Jersey