News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 cadillac 70 knocking and were is # one cylinder cant find tdc mark )=

Started by franek25, April 25, 2014, 01:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franek25

Hello again  I  started up my car last night  and it seemed to run ok. I have not drove since I bought  it because There are no timing marks on motor so I had to turn the distributor little at a time to get it to start in the begining due to distributor being somewhat loose and not set when i bought it also due to the fact as it runs rich as all heck.

It runs very rich even though both setting screws are only a turn out one turn. I am new to all of this so I dont know how to go about making new marks and then setting timing .i do have a timing light but cant seem to find info about were the # 1 spark plug is located

Last night  started it up to try and maybe figure out a way to set the timing.  I let it warm up and pushed throttle down about 3/4 of the way and pumped a few times. Then when i went back to the motor I  heard  knocking on the drivers side of the motor never heard it before :-[ . its not really lound though very noticable and it speeds up and slows down depending on the speed of motor. its not a clatering sound more of a nock. Can someone help me with these issues i am kinda bumbed out i thought all was good and was looking forward to driving  after working on it for almost a year it now it seems like I went 2 steps forward then 5 back wonder if i will ever get her on the road  )=
Just a guy that loves his car even though its not perfect!

harvey b

The timing marks are on the pass side of the motor,on the damper ther should be a IO mark?,sort of lines up with the waterpump pulley if you look the right way?it is best to use the light where it is not to bright,it is hard to see there,you can use a 12 volt light,you hook the power wires to a 12 volt battery and the other lead to the plug wire,it will work,i have done my 37 that way.The knock?,once on my car it had a horrible knocking noise from it,thought the motor had blown up,turns out it was one of the carb screws had plugged up and was not letting fuel to 1/2 of the motor,i had a couple of people look at it and they could not figure out the noise,i was ready to pull the motor and have a new crank put in it,somehow I was playing with the screws and whatever it was came loose and all was well.how many miles on your motor?,also could be a lifter,they are troublesome on these old motors too.Do you have a factory service manual,if not they are on ebay all the time,and are quite cheap too,A repro is fine for this stuff. Harvey
Harvey Bowness

Steve Passmore

If its running rich and you cant adjust it on the screws it could well be the flout. I have had them fail many times and when they do gas seeps in preventing it from flouting up enough to plug the jet. The brass is very delicate.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

franek25

thank you for your coments ill check the carb screws it was rebuilt  before i put it on and started this prosses. The motor was rebuilt in the 90"s the story goes th emotor looks great almost new. i will do as you described and get back to you than you so mmuch for your time ! Harvey b

franek25

Update I set the timing after I was told were it was located .  The knock is still there but it only starts when th emotor comes up to normal running temp. Before that as it runs the motor purs like a kitten. Any ideas were i should check thank you all so much for your help !!!!