News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Valves stuck

Started by Two Crabs, April 25, 2014, 09:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Crabs

I have been working on a 1941 that has two cylinders with no compression. I have soaked both with a mixture of Actone and ATF. still no joy in freeing up the valves.
Any ideas how to push them back down.?
Can you stick a rod or screwdriver into the spark plug hole and tap them down?

Two Crabs
1973 Eldorado Convertible

Doug Houston

I had the same problem a few years back. My pet mechanic came to the rescue. With all plugs out, he gorged the combustion chamber with carburetor cleaner, and had a little video probe ready. the use of Acetone (the correct spelling) would never do the job.

Now, I assume that the problem is varnish on the "hot" side of the valve (the side in the combustion chamber, and not the side in the valve gallery). Let the carb cleaner set in the chamber for possibly 1/2 hour. If you have the little video probe made bu Snap-On, you'll be able to see the valve move after you tap it gently with a steel rod.

Don't get over-anxious with it. It will take time for the carb cleaner to soften the varnish.

Now, through all of the above, I have assumed that you have STUCK valves, and not BURNED ones!
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Two Crabs

I'll try the carb. cleaner next and tapping the exhaust valve down.
Acetone ( My big fingers missed the "e last time ) and ATF worked on two other cylinders that were stuck.

I just can't get these last two to free up.
Two Crabs
1973 Eldorado Convertible

harvey b

another thing is to make sure the valves will move,the cam has to be not in position to open the valve?,.Not sure how to do this without taking the valley cover off?.Old stale gas is usually the cause of the varnish build up,if you get it to run,drain off the old gas or maybe try some fuel stabilizer,i like Marvel Mystery Oil for a stabilizer,have used it for the last 8 years and my stuff always runs better in the spring then it did in the fall.Good Luck
Harvey Bowness

Steve Passmore

If you attempt to tap these values through the plug hole you will bend them because your tool is on an angle. The easiest thing to do here and would save a heap of time from the beginning is to remove the cylinder head, thats if it will remove of coarse and  yes, I'm well aware the bolts protrude into the water jacket, so what I would do is try each bolt in turn just a little to see if each will move before undoing them, if they all move the head can be off in 15 minutes, then the values are perfectly visible and easier for tapping parallel.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

When it is up and running, add some Marvels to the oil as the previous post suggests.  Sometimes airplane engines have 'morning sickness' at the first start of the day.  Caused by sticking exhaust valves because of the varnish and soot buildup.  We just run Marvels in the oil and it usually clears up.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille